6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2012 11:51 AM by Joe Kuzich

Creating a drawing

Joe Kuzich

Hello all,

I am looking to see if there is a simpler way of creating my drawing details.  Currently, I have a drawing that shows some basic views of a bus stop, plans and elevations.  I am learning about configurations and display states, fun fun.  So I have some newbie questions.

One thing I have been doing is; when I need to detail a part (say a rafter) I RMB the part, open the part, go to the sheet I want it on, insert the now opened part, measure the part in the full model and the part being detailed to confirm its the right configuration, then close the part. 

First, can I put the part into another sheet without opening and closing the part separate from the drawing?  

Second, is it necessary to check/compare the dimensions for configuration differences?  So far it appears that the few I have done open and insert with the correct configuration if I RMB to open from the correct part on the drawing.  Is that just dumb luck or by design?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

• Re: Creating a drawing
          Glenn Schroeder

Joe Kuzich wrote:

First, can I put the part into another sheet without opening and closing the part separate from the drawing?  

Yes.  Click on "Model View" on your View Layout toolbar, then click the Browse button in the CommandManager.

Joe Kuzich wrote:

Second, is it necessary to check/compare the dimensions for configuration differences?  So far it appears that the few I have done open and insert with the correct configuration if I RMB to open from the correct part on the drawing.  Is that just dumb luck or by design?

After you have selected the model as directed above, click the blue arrow at the top right of the CommandManager.  That will take you to the second page where you can select the desired configuration or display state.  If you already have a model in a drawing view, you can also RMB on it and select Properties.  That will take you to a dialog box where you can change configuration, display state, etc.

Jeremy Feist

it is not bumb luck. if you open a part from an assembly or drawing it opens the specific configuration referenced in that view or assembly. and with the part open, any drawing view created will default to the open configuration.

Kelvin Lamport

You do not have to have the part open to create a drawing view, although it does make it easier.

The configuration of the part can be selected after the part is placed ... no need to check dimensions.

http://help.solidworks.com/2012/English/solidworks/sldworks/hidd_drview_prop.htm

Drawing View Properties

The Drawing View Properties dialog box provides information about the drawing view and its associated model.

To view and edit the Drawing View Properties:

1. Right-click in a drawing view and select Properties.

- or -

From a drawing view PropertyManager, click More Properties.

2. Edit properties and click OK.
              3. Click Update View (Drawing toolbar) or Rebuild (Standard toolbar).

Properties

View information. (Read-only.)

Model information. (Read-only.) Model information is not available for Detached views.

Configuration information.

• Select one:
                • Use model’s "in-use" or last saved configuration. Uses the active configuration of the open part or the saved configuration of the closed part.
                • Use named configuration. Uses a configuration that you previously created. For parent views (such as named and standard 3 views), select Use named configuration and optionally one of the Display States within that configuration.

Take particular note of the Use named configuration option.

Joe Kuzich

I think your right it does appear to be easier to just open the part up.  I tried the browse method and then I have to sift thru too many parts and figure out which configuration is being used.  Not hard but still more time consuming.  I guess I was just hoping I could set up something simple to just click the part with the right config shown in plan view 'A' on sheet 1 and have it go striaght to sheet 2 as a new detail with all the same config.  I'm close to doing that just with a few extra time wasting steps.