4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2012 3:02 PM by Jerry Steiger

Unable to make cut (with surface) due to unhappy surface knit

Joe Blow

I'm having a very frusturating time. This is my first project in Solidworks since college and it seems a lot has changed since SW 2007. I'm trying to build tweeter mounts for my vehicle so I have a left housing and a right housing.

My attempted steps were:

1. Sketch start and end faces

2. Sketch guide curves

3. Lofted boss with sketches

4. Surface offset to the interior (so I can hollow it out)

5. Trim extra off of surface offsets

6. Knit surfaces

7. Cut with surface

I completed the left housing with very little trouble so I have bee. Now working on the right one, perorming the same steps, I can't seem to satisfy the surface offset -> trim -> knit -> cut with surface. After I believe I have knitted my surface correctly, the 'cut with surface' tool is greyed out which I assume means I don't have any surface to satisfy it.

The other strange thing about the knit tool: In my left model (the one that works like I wanted), if I attempt to edit my knit surface, it will default to knitting "surface-trim-1" although the original function I selected face1 face2 and face3. If I rebuild allowing it to change to surfacetrim1, it gives me an error "cannot knit surface to itself.

• Re: Unable to make cut (with surface) due to unhappy surface knit
          Jeremy Feist

was the shell feature in 2007? cause it looks like you are trying to manually shell the part - which we only do it that way when the shell feature fails. I would post the model, but I am on 2012 (it says your files are from an earlier version). but what I did was used the sketches of your extrude cuts to make split lines instead, and then selected the new faces as the ones to be removed from the shell.

can't seem to add a picture eaither right now...

Joe Blow

I had serious troubles with the shell feature early in the process because I had the guide curve pierce points into the circular face tangent to the circular face surface. This upset the shell feature very much. I kind of like doing it step by step so I can see the surfaces. At the very least, doing it manually the first time gave me some insight into why the shell was failing. Can you specify the text I bolded? Which extrude cut are you referring to? Thanks for the help.

Jeremy Feist wrote:

was the shell feature in 2007? cause it looks like you are trying to manually shell the part - which we only do it that way when the shell feature fails. I would post the model, but I am on 2012 (it says your files are from an earlier version). but what I did was used the sketches of your extrude cuts to make split lines instead, and then selected the new faces as the ones to be removed from the shell.

can't seem to add a picture eaither right now...

Jerry Steiger

Joe,

I can't open your files (still on 2010, so you must be on 2011). I take it that the left and right housings are not mirror images of one another?

Some more or less random thoughts. I"ve never run into your problem of Cut with Surface not being available. If you use Mutual Trim you may remove the need to do any Knits. Can you show us a picture of the Solid and the Surface you are trying to cut with?

Jerry S.