Thomas Allsup

SW2013 Rollout - Progression Technologies

Discussion created by Thomas Allsup on Oct 2, 2012

Tis the season for SolidWorks rollout meetings.  Today was Progression Technologies on Dallas, TX.  The venue was the House of Blues near the American Airlines Center.  There were complaints about the free valet parking but if you came late and bolted for the door at the end there was no issues Otherwise the restaurant was very nice with good food and great service.  I won't bore everyone with a laundry list of the improvements (and there are some humdingers) but the one surprisingly sad feature we were promised was backward compatibility with SW2012 SP5 and SW2013 and it simply isn't there as a working solution.  SW2012 can't modify any parts or assemblys created in SW2013 but it can load them as dumb solids - I don't complain about a lot with SolidWorks but this is defeinitely a stupid marketing ploy to say one thing but it clearly doesn't work the way we all expected it to!  You get the same result as exporting SW2013 parts as STP file and load the dumb solid in SW2012 - I think this is going to blow up in their marketing faces!

Outcomes