12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2012 4:54 PM by 1-56THY4

Auto Desk HSM Works for Solid Works.....?

RICH PAUZA

How did this happen....?

How did a company that built a kick but CAM program JUST for Solid Works get snatched up by Auto Desk.....????

I can surely see HSM integrated into Inventor - But will they still stay in sink with Solid Works Users...?

Happy October.

Rich

• Re: Auto Desk HSM Works for Solid Works.....?

It happened because for many years SolidWorks has had no interest in CAM or in undestanding the needs of many in the machining/manufacturing business.

For a very long time I've stated that HSMWorks lacked development funds and that development on HSMWorks was very slow. This acquisition backs up what I've said for many years about the long running problems with HSMWorks development and marketing:

http://www.hsmworks.com/autodesk-acquires-hsmworks-technology

In addition, I feel we will continue to see more consolidation in the CAM business because too many players in the CAM market don't properly market and serve their customers needs very properly.

Jon Banquer

CADCAM Technology Leaders group on LinkedIn

John Burrill

That throws me a little.  A few weeks ago I went to a reseller event and got a free license of the 2.5 Axis version and one of the reps was someone who'd been a Solidworks front man since the 90's.

In any event, it looks like they have a lot invested in their relationship with Solidworks.  I wouldn't expect them to abandon it.

Expect it to happen. It always happens.

I've been talking about HSMWorks serious problems on Twitter for the last year. I've been talking about SolidWorks problems on the Internet since 1997.

Many people don't want to hear what I have to say and it upsets them greatly... until it costs them lots of money to ignore the ugly details of what I discuss.

Jon Banquer

David Paulson

Jon...........Your love of SolidWorks is showing through.  And stimulated by Autodesk????  But I can understand why SW would not want to marry up to one CAM provider.  Not sure if this reflects too well on Autodesk's judgment.  But when playing catch up, it might give them a little traction.  Lot's of other really good CAM providers in the sea???

So much for your detractors that think you don't really care about SW.

David,

"Jon...........Your love of SolidWorks is showing through."

Very few people seem to be able to see this. I'm always pleased to be able to interact with the few that can. 

"And stimulated by Autodesk????"

I dislike many things about how Autodesk does business and have for years.

"SW would not want to marry up to one CAM provider."

Starts with SolidWorks never having a complete vision of what it takes to actually manufacture a product. SolidWorks would rather focus on design which has been and continues to be a real problem. The SolidWorks mind set needs to change from design to design to manufacture.

"But when playing catch up, it might give them a little traction."

Think it's mostly about their cloud nonsense. I'm hoping to change that mentality with my typical brute force approach. Figure someone's got to do it.

"So much for your detractors that think you don't really care about SW."

What I have to say doesn't work very well in the sound bite world they live in which is all they can handle.

Thanks for the nice things you had to say about me and taking the time to understand what I have to say.

Jon Banquer

CADCAM Technology Leaders group on Linked

"In any event, it looks like they have a lot invested in their relationship with Solidworks.  I wouldn't expect them to abandon it."

I'll try and be more clear in what I meant. It depends on the HSMWorks reseller. Some HSMWorks resellers sell SolidWorks and that's their main business. Others are focused more on CAM than on CAD.

I spoke with two former HSMWorks resellers on Thursday and both are now actively looking for a new CAM product to represent. Some of the details of my conversations with these two former HSMWorks resellers can be found on the CADCAM Technology Leaders group on LinkedIn.

Jon Banquer

Letter sent by SolidWorks reseller CADD Edge about how HSMWorks handled the sale to Autodesk:

"Re: HSMWorks Acquisition by Autodesk, Inc.

Dear valued HSMWorks user,

As many of you may already be aware, HSMWorks and all of its holdings have recently been acquired by Autodesk, Inc. As a reseller for HSM, and more importantly on behalf of CADD Edge and the integrity and honesty with which we run our business, I personally want to reassure each of you that we had no prior knowledge of this acquisition. Unfortunately, HSMWorks personnel made this decision without informing their territorial resellers and we, like most of you, became aware of this acquisition news via the Press Release.

As a result, our contract with HSMWorks has been discontinued effective immediately with the ability to provide product support through 10/31/2012.

With that said, CADD Edge personnel will be here to complete any outstanding technical issues that you may have had. We understand that there may be questions in terms of product development and platform support. Quite frankly, we are not privy to any of that information and have not been made aware of any further plans by HSMWorks or Autodesk, aside from the FAQ’s listed below.

Finally, we believe it to be of paramount importance to remind you that CADD Edge had every intention of a long and mutually beneficial relationship with HSMWorks. Much time and effort was spent by many in researching and implementing what we believed to be the most advanced, integrated and powerful CAM software for your SolidWorks systems. It is most unfortunate that the decision has been made by HSMWorks to continue in a different direction.

We appreciate the opportunities to work with your organizations and remain committed to your future success.

Kind regards,

Brendan J. McKenna

HSMWorks Business Development Manager"

Then handwriting was on the wall for the last year. How come I easily read it and many others didn't? Maybe becuase I'm objective, I'm not a fanboi and I do my homework.

Jon Banquer

CADCAM Technology Leaders group on Linked

Mike Agan

They'll have to remove "Works" from the HSMWorks name.