5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2012 8:44 AM by Ari Arponen

assembly instructions and spare part book?

Ari Arponen

I think I saw some introducing video about some Add-in (or similar) about SW which is good to make assembly instructions and maybe a spare part book. I need to make assembly instructions for our production and the spare part books for our customers. Are there any good add-ins? Or is the best way to do this just to use normal SW drawings? I am looking to make some sort of book like you got with IKEA furnitures. I think the regular drawings are bit too clumsy for this purpose. Now I have used the normal drawings and exploded view for this.

• Re: assembly instructions and spare part book?
            Ari Arponen

I asked the price for 3DVIA and it is surely expensive, but I made a request for the head of company about this. One another thing came to mind is that we use SolidPDM, so if I make a spare part book with this, does these understand each other so I get the actual item codes from PDM to spare part sheet? This is crucial for this project. If I export the assembly for example from pdm, the files are named like this 'tanko_0005658_-_31078.SLDASM'. And there the number 0005658 is the item code which needs to be shown in spare part book.

Deepak Gupta

Ari Arponen wrote:

we use SolidPDM, so if I make a spare part book with this, does these understand each other so I get the actual item codes from PDM to spare part sheet? This is crucial for this project. If I export the assembly for example from pdm, the files are named like this 'tanko_0005658_-_31078.SLDASM'. And there the number 0005658 is the item code which needs to be shown in spare part book.

I don't have any idea about it and you'll have to ask your VAR for the complete information.

maurice bellando

Hi Ari - the video you saw is s SWorks add-in called '3DVia', it will do what you request, it is good but expensive. There are other packages available, 'Quadrispace', 'Corel', 'IsoDraw', 'XVL Technical Illustration Suite' and various others.Maurice

Ari Arponen

Thanks for heads up. I will check these. I also made a proposition for company head about using solidPDM for this purpose also. With little work and with new "spare part sheet" drawing template we will get the automatically generated BOM with real item codes to use with assembly. Afterall we spend shitloads of money for this SolidPDM, but unfortunately it doesnt work for assembly instructions and spare parts lists very good. Maybe we need to find some golded middleway to this.

Byt the way, in our biggest assemblies there are about 1400 parts. Is that a large assembly? The main idea is to pick the spare parts from that assembly easily. Amount of spare parts is about 30%.