5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2013 3:23 PM by Anna Wood

New system - what do you guys think

Shawn Casebolt

This is the cad systems we are looking to purchase.  Can you folks who know computers better than I throw some stones at it?  Any glaring issues? The only thing I wonder about is the RAM, the rest is greek to me lol.

Thanks,

Shawn

Dell Precision T3600

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 with XP Mode

Quad Core Xeon e5-1620 3.6GHz, 10M, Turbo

8GB, DDR3 UDIMM, 1600 MHz, ECC (4 DIMMS)

1 GB NVIDIA Quadro 2000 (2DPI, 1DVI)

256GB Solid State Drive

8X DVD +/-

2010 MS Office Home

• Re: New system - what do you guys think
          Anna Wood

What do you do with SolidWorks?  How big are your assemblies?  Prismatics or surfacing?  Rendering or FEA?

Looks like a nice machine.

Upgrade MS Office to the Pro version.  Downgrade Windows 7 to a Pro version.

Cheers,

Anna

Shawn Casebolt

We design emergency vehicles (ambulances', rescue trucks).  So our assy's will eventually get to be large (we are in the infancy of converting from Autocad).  We will be doing FEA, but doubtfull any rendering.

My biggest concern is the chassis.  Ford and all the other mfr's will send us their 3D data as stp or igs files, however they are HUGE files.  In the neighborhood of 3-700 MB I believe.  That then will have to be converted etc.  As you know, if you look at any vehicle on the road, their are a lot of skin curves and surfaces to be converted.  We wont have to do surfacing, but we will need to use their data.  It will not be a good situation if we buy these systems and still can not use their data!

Thanks,

Shawn

Jerry Steiger

Shawn,

With the file sizes that you are looking at, you might want to up your RAM to 16 GB. You might also be one of the few people who can actually get enough good out of a Quadro 4000 to make it worth the money.

You might want to ask this question in the Administration forum, as the real experts in hardware and performance hang out there. (Anna is one of them.)

Jerry S.

Shawn Casebolt

Well here I sit a year later, with the system that I originally asked about.  Everything seemingly works like a champ.....EXCEPT.....opening/closing/creating configurations of the large chassis models.  To open the one assy file takes 12-14 minutes.  I bumped my RAM up to 32 GB thinking that would help, however it had zero effect.  I contacted the people who sent us the files to ask what systems they run, and they use seemingly less powerful systems.  The only thing to note, was that they used Intel Xeon2.53 GHZ processors, however they had dual processors and I have a quad core.  Does anyone know what we need or are lacking that our open time is so bad?

As a side note, I ran the solidworks benchmark on my old system, my old system after going 64 bit and finally these new systems.   All categories steadily improved, except for I/O.  That actually got worse on these new machines for ref it was 86.4.  Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated, as we are at a complete loss as to what to do.

Thanks,

Shawn