16 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2012 11:21 AM by Andy Sanders

Can anyone save a SW2013 part file to a .x_t or .igs for me?

Joshua Cyrul

I'm in a bit of a bind - Our company is delaying the update from SW2012 to SW2013 and not thinking about it (they always update immediatly) I opened some parts in 2013 to check it out and must have saved them because now I get the future version error.

It would be 3 files (small) that I could e-mail over and have sent back. I would really appreciate it if anyone is willing to lend a hand.

joshcyrul@cefx.net

Thanks,

Josh Cyrul

P.S. This is not spam or a scam - Really, really need someone's help.

• Re: Can anyone save a SW2013 part file to a .x_t or .igs for me?
          Alin Vargatu

I sent you a PM with my address.

The other thing you can do is to upgrade to SolidWorks 2012 SP5.0 EV. That will allow you to open SolidWorks 2013 files in SolidWorks 2012 in interoperability mode.

Lenny Bucholz

New in SolidWorks 2013: Previous Release Interoperability

One of the items on the SolidWorks World Top-Ten list is always the ability to open SolidWorks files in older versions of the software. Starting with SolidWorks 2013, you will have that ability. This can help you

• Reduce production delays and ease the transition to the latest release
              • Collaborate and view designs with different SolidWorks versions
              • Work more easily with outside customers, consultants, and manufacturers

Once it is released in the near future, you will be able to open SolidWorks 2013 parts and assemblies using SolidWorks 2012 Service Pack 5. From SolidWorks 2012 on, you you will be able to open a future version file in Service Pack 5 of the previous release. For example, in SolidWorks 2013 Service Pack 5 you will be able to open SolidWorks 2014 files.

Interoperability is only supported between consecutive releases. For example, you cannot open a SolidWorks 2014 file in SolidWorks 2012 Service Pack 5. Future version files appear in read-only mode when opened in the previous release. However, once you upgrade to the next version of SolidWorks, all the FeatureManager design tree data is available.

SolidWorks 2013 files have reduced functionality in SolidWorks 2012 Service Pack 5. SolidWorks 2013 files will not have most FeatureManager design tree data when opened in SolidWorks 2012 Service Pack 5. Any actions that require FeatureManager design tree data cannot be performed with a SolidWorks 2013 document open in SolidWorks 2012 Service Pack 5.

The following table summarizes what you can and cannot do in SolidWorks 2012 Service Pack 5. You can learn more about the new features in SolidWorks 2013 on our website.

Previous Release Interoperability

Juanmanuel Pelayo

Hi Alin,

question, even if the company didn't pay maintenance to the VAR I am available to upgrade to SP5?

right now runing 2012 sp4.

Thanks

Jm pelayo

Kelvin Lamport

Josh,

Do you not have a backup of the files  in SW12 format?

I assume you realise the Parasolid & IGES files will not have features. Do you have the Feature Recognition module?

Don't bother with the SW12-SP5 --> SW13 interoperability (sorry, Alin & Lenny). As you can see from the table Lenny posted, the "interoperability" mode turns SW12 into little more than a viewer.

Lenny Bucholz

Kelvin,

thats why I put it up.............. infected bandaid

Ryan McVay

What "gross" imagery you posted! An infected Band-Aid. As I read the list I was thinking so what can this do that a viewer tool couldn't really do. I mean this is all Assembly related functionality. Yes, even the drawing creation is an assembly function.

From a development standpoint I can understand why you only have assembly functionality- not much changes in there.

When this was originally announced I recall posting something about the freezing of modeling functionality in order for this to happen. I guess I was wrong...modeling functionality isn't do-able at all! This means that they are still planning on future development of the modeling code.

That's great news for all of us continuing to pay the absorbent estimate of around ~20% in maintenance.

This is a nice "industry first" but...as Lenny says it's still an "infected Band-Aid."

Alin Vargatu

Kelvin, if the model is completed, I would argue that the interoperability functionality is quite useful.

1. You can give your part to a 2012 user who will use it in his assembly. Once you get the assembly from him, you can use it 100%. 

2. You can ask a SW2012 user o create the detail drawing for you.

3. You can ask a SW2012 user to build an enclosure for your 2013 part.

None of these options were possible in the past.

As you said, using neutral formats like Parasolid will destroy the feature tree. The interoperability preserves the tree during the round trip between 2013 - 2012 - 2013.

Lenny Bucholz

Alin,

here is where it is totally useless.......................what the OP really needs it for.........to beable to cover his A$$ pecause he saved the only file a version ahead and needs to beable to work on mods in SW2012!!

yes you have put up some + points, but the what the if's still come up during the process....EDITING at some point because of change.

so it's is really a band-aid not what is really needed....................and I love SW, but this that useful for a file save as new F-UP!!!

Sorry

Kelvin Lamport
                              1. You can give your part to a 2012 user who will use it in his assembly. Once you get the assembly from him, you can use it 100%.

The interoperability preserves the tree during the round trip between 2013 - 2012 - 2013.

That is very good news.

But they have to dimension manually. They cannot use the Insert > Model Items to dimension the views.

A dumb solid could be used for that.

I agree the interoperabilty function is not without it's uses, and while it is a big step in the right direction, it has a long way to go to be really useful.; And a huge way to go to fulfill the wishes/needs of the user base who have been asking/demanding/begging for a real interoperability function for years.

Alin Vargatu

Kelvin Lamport wrote:

But they have to dimension manually. They cannot use the Insert > Model Items to dimension the views.

That is true. That being said, you get a parametric drawing linked to a parametric part which can be fully edited in SolidWorks 2013. That was not the case when a dumb solid was used.

Kelvin Lamport wrote:

A dumb solid could be used for that.

I agree the interoperabilty function is not without it's uses, and while it is a big step in the right direction, it has a long way to go to be really useful.; And a huge way to go to fulfill the wishes/needs of the user base who have been asking/demanding/begging for a real interoperability function for years.

Not really. If you need to modify your part, using a dumb solid will not change the enclosure. But if you get the enclosure back from the 2012 user with your 2013 part inside, you will have all the parametric relations preserved.

I am not stating that the interoperability is the Holy Grail of backwards compatibility we have been asking for ages, but can be extremely useful.

Tom Helsley

Josh,

Am I missing something here?  Do you not have 2013 installed any more?  if so, can't you install it again?

Joshua Cyrul

Management is undergoing budget cuts so they put off the update to SW2013 a few months. They always renew every year for the last several so I didn't even think about working on a concept in it. Well, bad idea as the concept is now needed for next week (rolled out early) and the 2013 Beta expired before I was told about the delay on renewal.... Pita to say the least.... Lesson learned though!

I recieved an e-mail, sent the files and they were sent back converted!! I didn't care about the history as I actually had an older version of these parts still saved in 2012 but I just didn't have some of the new finished hole patterns and criticall items - Of course 2013 took other parts that were used to generate this but that was only important if I had to re-design from the start. So, it was re-draw about 50+ parts from memory by Monday or get 3 translated and I'm good to go. Oh, and hoping they update soon so I can get the rest of my data back before something else is needed!!

Thanks guys! Really appreciate it!

Andy Sanders

I know this is after the fact, but sometimes my buttocks get saved by simpliy going to the "Solidworks Backup" files on my local drive. 

I usually save (4) versions there.  I don't know how many times I was able to use this to restore goofups.

Just a thought for next time (or possibly you still have them??).