5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2012 8:34 AM by Bill McEachern

Coincident Beam to Surface Mesh

Ben Marsico
      1. I have a simple curved plate made up of two solidworks surfaces (meshed these with shell elements) and I want designate the line that separates the two surfaces with beam elements and make the mesh coincident, my question is will I be able to accomplish this using the base assembly simulation package?  (I would prefer not to use contact elements if I can help it).
      2. Does simulation allow any type of scripting  to dictate analysis commands, say for instance like Ansys APDL or Python scripting.       
        • Re: Coincident Beam to Surface Mesh
          Bill McEachern

What r u trying do? It seems like you don't understand how the program works but is hard to tell.

• Re: Coincident Beam to Surface Mesh
              Ben Marsico

Bill

Basically I want to know can I do a coincident mesh of beam elements to shell elements, using very simple geometry ie a surface and a line. I see from your profile you have a MSC background so I am just going to go out on a limb and assume you are familiar with Patran and FEMap pre/post processors.  Assuming I was using Patran or Femap and I had a rectangular flate surface with a line geometry around the perimeter of it,  I would mesh the rectangular flat surface with shell elements and the line as beam elements and merge coincident nodes in order to make the who thing connected.  So I guess my question is, am I able to do something similar in solidworks simulation using simplified geometry?

The second question was really just a "hope so" regarding the scripting so don't worry about it.