12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2012 12:55 PM by Elias Chavez

New Toolbar

Elias Chavez

Just got upgraded to SW2012 and don't see the option to create own toolbar yet, is there any?

• Re: New Toolbar
          Alin Vargatu

Sure it is. Do you need a regular toolbar, or a Command Manager toolbar?

Elias Chavez

A regular new toolbar (empty) to place some macros

Alin Vargatu

My apologies, Elias, I misspoke. You can add Empty Tabs only to the Command Manager.

Please vote on this ER:

SPR 570301: Ability to create a new toolbar that can then be customised, rather than only being able to modify an existing toobar

John Sweeney

Hi Elias,

I understand why you might want your own user-definable toolbar.  This is something we will add to our list of enhancements (perhaps its already on our list but it hasn't bubbled up as a top request...).  Can others chime in on how important and how widely used this would be as a feature?   We could provide an interface for "creating" a toolbar which asks you guys for a toolbar name and then you'd need to customize buttons onto it using Tools-Customize-Commands.

Note, this can certainly be done today, but its not quite as elegant.  You can find your most hated toolbar and simply strip all the buttons off of it using Alt+Drag or using the Tools-Customize-Commands dialog.  Then add whatever buttons you'd like to see.  The downside is you won't be able to give the toolbar your own name but the benefit is your most hated and unused toolbar becomes your new favorite.

Also, I believe the "shortcut toolbar" is one of the most customized toolbars in the user community.  Hitting the "S" key shows this toolbar and the buttons are customizable using RMB-Customize on the toolbar, or in SW2013 using "Tools-Customize-Shortcut Bars".  The buttons shown on the shortcut toolbar will vary and be customizable for part, drawing, assembly and sketch mode.

Thanks in advance for your feedback,

John

Message was edited by: John Sweeney

Alin Vargatu

John, what is interesting is that you can do all you described in Command Manager. Are the toolbars a lot different than the Command Manager tabs?

John Sweeney

Hi Alin,

Yes they are different.  The CommandManager was a custom implementation on our side back in 2007-2008 timeframe because, at the time, Microsoft didn't provide any interfaces for creating this "ribbon-style" toolbar.  Our CommandManager was home-grown and pre-dates most of what you see today in other products.  The majority of other toolbars in the system, which you see from the View-Toolbars list, use a standard programming architecture provided by Microsoft.  We would add custom code on top of that foundation to hide/show these proposed "empty" toolbars.

-John

Don Cheke

This is something I wanted to do just yesterday and came to the same conclusion about using the least used toolbar to do so. I still would prefer to create a new one. Alin's link to the SR doesn't work so it is not possible to vote.

I would also like to see a user be able to reset toolbars back to their original shipped state. When I used the reset buttons yesterday it did not remove any tool icons I had added to a couple of toolbars.

Jeff Holliday

The shortcut bar (S-key) has to have been one of my favorite enhancements from it's inception! You are right - load it up and run with it (wherever your mouse pointer sits).

Elias Chavez

It will be nice to have the capability to make our own toolbars loaded w/ our own macros. Thank you.

Jay Johnson

I tend NOT to creat my own toolbars. Because when you upgrade to a new version of SolidWorks you have to re-create it all over again. I like having standardized toolbars for that reason. Plus if someone else wants uses your computer for some aweful reason, they would know where everything is. I had an issue using AutoCad in the past where the previous user had created new toolbars and when I had to re-install on a new computer the old toolbars that were created are no longer available. I gave up trying to re-creae it and just use what was originally set up on the original install. I don't use AutoCad as much now that I have SolidWorks, but I still have to maintain legacy DWG drawings.