1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 1, 2012 9:19 AM by Bill McEachern

3rd Principle Stress results are supprising...

Chris Bargman

untitled.JPG

The above picture is the simulation in question.  I have applied 100Mpa of pressure to the cavity surface. 

My first question is why are the arrows so speratic?  there are no arrows showing pressure in the corrner even though I do have pressure applied there...  Do the arrows really mean anything at all?

The more pressing matter is the stress ammounts.  From what I understand I should be seeing an equarilibrium on the surface where the pressure is being applied.  That means I should see -100Mpa across the whole thing or blue in the picture.  Why do the corners show above -70Mpa?  Is the program for some reason only applying pressure to the flat surfaces that could explain the odd numbers.

• Re: 3rd Principle Stress results are supprising...
          Bill McEachern

no the arrows don't mean much. they just show that a pressure has been applied to an entity. the number and placement ofht arrows is a function (I am guuessing) of the edges bounding the surface patch or soemthing like that. they could have a much better algorthim for that.

You assumption about what you should see is not correct. You may have a uniform traction but what you are showing is the most compressive stresses with P3 and you have bending and Poisson's induced effects due to the shape and the restraints. Try a flat plate with well thought out restraints and you will get what you assume will happen.