17 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2012 1:35 PM by Doug Kohring

New workstation - video card question

Brandon Zeone

I looked in Solidworks Recommended specs and the HP 8770w isn't listed yet.  I'm assuming because its new???  Specifically I'm wondering about the video card.  The laptop I've been told to check out has an NVIDIA Quadro K3000M.  I know very little about what is good for Solidworks and what is not.  Is that a decent video card?  More specs below.

Thanks,

Brandon

HP EliteBook 8770w Mobile Workstation

Operating system:Windows® 7 Professional 64
      Processor:Intel® Core™ i7-3610QM (2.30 GHz, 6 MB L3 cache, 4 cores)
      Memory:8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 SDRAM
      Memory slots:2 SODIMM
      Internal drive:750 GB 7200 rpm SATA II
      Flash Cache:24 GB mSATA Flash Cache Module
      Graphics:NVIDIA Quadro K3000M (2 GB dedicated GDDR5)
        • Re: New workstation - video card question
          Jeff Mowry

Oops--you're right.  I don't see it there, either.  I found something similar, which is encouraging:

screenshot3633.jpg

Patrick Moody

gpu.png

EDIT - my apologies, I missed the missing K. I really wish they would have made seperate model numbers for these different series. Brain disconnect

Message was edited by: Patrick Moody

Patrick Couture

The Quadro K3000m is the new version based on the Kepler architecture and it's brand new so that's why you don't see much drivers yet.

I just purchase a laptop with a i7-3720qm cpu and Quadro 3000m which should be around 15% slower than the K3000m and I must say that the video card seems a bit overkill. So this is a very powerfull card for solidworks and since my system is almost always waiting for the CPU to process I would advise you to look for the best CPU you can afford and then look for a GPU. After seeing how my system is performing I would be tempted to compare it with a better cpu let's say the 3820qm and the Quadro K2000m and see if it's still enough for me.

I will receive a third laptop next week with the K3000m so then I should be able to elaborate a little more.

Patrick

Richard Bremmer

This is the new Kepler generation videocards from nVidia and currently only available in the mobile workstations. They should be the best videocards you can get right now.

SolidWorks has already certified the 8570W with this card, you're probably best of to try that driver. Lenovo's thinkpad W530 has been certified as well.

As can be seen in Patrick (Moody's) screenshot, Dell mobile workstations with the K1000M and upwards have not yet been certified at all with the kepler genereation cards.

Richard Gergely

There is nothing to say that just because there are no certified drivers available yet that the drivers that which are available aren't fine anyway. Also certified drivers don't guarentee that they work perfect either. I'm on the latest drivers available for my card because the certified drivers caused all sorts of problems and newer drivers don't.

Brandon Zeone

Now I might be getting a Dell with the same video card.

M6700 3rd Gen Intel Core i7-3820QM 2.7ghz

8.0GB, DDR3-1600 SDRAM, 2 DIMM

NVIDIA Quadro K3000M with 2GB GDDR5

I'm finding the same results with this one, M6700 isn't listed.  The M6600 shows the 3000M as certified.  I think we've concluded its just too new to be listed right now.

Is there any harm in installing a driver from Solidworks after I install Solidworks on the new laptop?  I saw in another thread that someone had trouble updating the driver after they installed Solidworks.  Is that typical?