3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2012 8:21 AM by Vajrang Parvate

Part turns black in e-drawings

Jacques Mailloux

Does anyone know why the parts sometimes turns black when creating e-drawing mark-ups? I always show the part in red, somestimes it will be red in the e-drawing but as soon as I add a mark-up it turns black.  Saving out the mark-ups and inserting them in a new e-drawing doesn't help.  Once the part it black, it is always black.

• Re: Part turns black in e-drawings
          Vajrang Parvate

You didn't say if you're seeing this issue on Windows, Mac or iPad.

If it is on an iPad running iOS6, then this is a known issue and will be addressed in the upcoming update.

If it is not, then it's likely a different issue - possibly graphics card / driver related.

Jacques Mailloux

I am seeing this issue on Windows.  I have tried different graphics card drivers and that didn't work.  The same issue happens to my coworkers from time to time and we all have different graphics card.

The part that turns blacks is always data that has been converted from different softwares, ie Catia, NX, or comes from a .stp or .igs file.  Could this have something to do with it?

Vajrang Parvate

It's possible - inverted face normals is fairly common thing that affects imported geometry. One way to eliminate the graphics card / driver as a culprit is to turn on Software OpenGL and try the same file - if the errors go away, then it's definitely graphics card / driver related. If they don't go away, then it could be bad data.

Note that Software OpenGL will slow down your frame rate significantly, so it's not recommended to leave it on.