15 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2012 5:59 PM by Tom Thompson

Prevent SolidWorks from converting file?

Tom Thompson

When a user has a SolidWorks file that was created with 2011 and they open it with SolidWorks 2012, the system will ask the user if the file should be converted to 2012.  Does anyone know of a way to prevent this?

We have some users that will be working on 2011 and 2012 files and we don't want them to convert the 2011 files to 2012 by accident.

Thanks!

Tom

• Re: Prevent SolidWorks from converting file?
          Roland Schwarz

At the operating system (e.g. Windows) level, set the file permissions to "Read Only", and selectively obtain write permission only when ready to convert.

Alin Vargatu

1. Make sure you have back-ups of everything in SW 2011

2. If the user does not save that file, it will not be converted (Ronald's solution is spot on)

3. If the user has to modify the file... he will have to save it.

Lenny Bucholz

sounds like most of your guys just double click window explorer and the file opens with the last SW install.

So you as a company need come up with a system where the guys know which files are SW11 or SW12 and first open the SW (11 or 12)version then go find the files to open them.

SW doesn't just convert them, there is a warning if you save it it can't go back and there is a yellow warning symble on the save icon at the top, if you see that they better ask!!!!

Tom Thompson

Just to be clear, these users will have SolidWorks 2011 and 2012 on their machines.  If they work on a 2011 file, they should open it with SW 2011, if they work on a 2012 file, they should open it with SW 2012.  But just in case someone forgets and doesn't think about the message that is displayed, I want to prevent them from converting a 2011 file to 2012 by accident.

If there is no setting to prevent this, I'll ask in the API forum...

Jeremy Feist

I think the "saving will convert" warning is one that the user can check "don't ask again". So to block some one from converting a file by mistake, you could open an older file attempt to save it, and chose no, or cancel with the don't ask again checked.

of course then you will get people asking why they can't save a file, or why the edits they did to the file did not get saved.

Lenny Bucholz

There is not a check box for this, it shows up right away.

start Solidworks first SW2011 as a rule, then open your files, that way you'll get the future version warning if it's a SW2012 file and then you know you have to close down SW2011 and start SW2012 to do your work.

Make a spread sheet of the jobs that stay in SW2011 and the one in SW2012, along with the folder and partnumber info so your guys know what SW version to start with first.

I have had to do this for years as a machine shop because I would have 3 to 4 versions of SW on my computer for clients that didn't upgrade and would have me modify their parts.

maybe the API can read the file and start the correct version of SW, but documentation is still the best as well as paying attention to the warnings before you get started.

older file warning.jpg

Alin Vargatu

The solution is really, really simple. Just install SolidWorks 2013 on all the computers in the company.

Rodney Harper

How often are backups occuring of the files they are working on?  (just in case, you have a backup).  For what you are asking though, an API created macro is the only way to go.  Maybe something that does a save as copy if it's 11.  Problem becomes when you want to save something up to 12 from 11, this will need to be shut on and off.

Alin Vargatu

New in SolidWorks 2013:

Selecting a SolidWorks Version When Opening a File

If you have multiple versions of the SolidWorks software on your machine, and you open a SolidWorks file in Windows® Explorer, a dialog box prompts you to select which version to use.

When you have multiple versions on a machine, the SolidWorks software needs to identify which version you prefer to run with the specified file. This is to help prevent any issues with opening files.

http://help.solidworks.com/2013/English/WhatsNew/c_selecting_SolidWorks_version_when_opening_files.htm?id=d7c378db343c4b4f903dc77fed40fac4#Pg0

Ryan McVay

Alin-

Does this work for an assembly or just individual part files? What if there is a mixture of versions in an assy? How is this handled?Just curious since I won't be running 2013 until it is released as a product version.

To the original question if you have library parts or standard purchased parts I'd lock those directories down to stop overwriting them with 2013. Project specific files should be isolated for the time being. Or you could just set up - like mentioned before- a set of folders that have the folders locked down. Released parts are read-only. New parts could be in a second folder like a project folder. It's too bad you don't have the open as older version functionality like you have between 2012 and 2013. Would definitely come in handy in this case.

Alin Vargatu

Ryan McVay wrote:

Alin-

Does this work for an assembly or just individual part files? What if there is a mixture of versions in an assy? How is this handled?Just curious since I won't be running 2013 until it is released as a product version.

Excellent question Ryan. Will try is and report back to you.

Unless somebody else already knows the answer...

Paul Marsman

that "select version" window... it told me when I tried to open a pre-2013 file that it "was not created with the most recent version" and gave me the option to select which version to use as the What's New says (also has a checkbox for "Don't ask me again. Remember my selection")

YES, it does give you this when opening .sldprt, .sldasm, and .slddrw files

now I'm not sure this really addresses the issue, since it does not appear to tell you WHAT version the file was created in. I can't say for sure though because I don't know what version it was created in, and I only have 2012 and 2013PR1 installed on that test machine anyway.

ok, after typing all above I remembered I had a neat directory with files labeled for what version they were created in for some old testing we did... it doesn't tell you what version it was made in, same window no matter what... so no, this doesn't solve Tom's issue directly (edit: or Ryan's)

John Burrill

Tom, you're going to need to find a way to make your 2011 files read-only and the only way to protect them long term from being updated is to not mix them with the 2012 projects.

I have a client that has to have all of their stuff in 2009 format.  I keep their files seperated from the fray by storing their files on a machine with a 2009 Workgroup PDM vault and by having seperate toolbox and template installs, I can generally make it work but a couple of times, I had to bill them for rparts that were already in my cots library because they had to be remodelled in 2009.

Paul Marsman

Tom,

I think API is the only sure way to get what you need.  just my 2

Paul

Tom Thompson

I think, for our situation, the API is the way to go.  Thanks for all the responses - lots of good input.

Tom