4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2012 10:42 AM by Habib Toossi

best way to do flow analysis on power transformer enclosure

Habib Toossi

Hi

I need Help please

I am designing dry type power transformer enclosure natural convection cooling.

can you tell me what is best way to do flow analyses and  to find out how air flow inside the enclosure ?

can I find out how much opening I need for inlet and outlet for air get in and size of bottom preforated plates.

thank youOPE 25 Assembly.JPG

• Re: best way to do flow analyses power transformer enclosure
          Syarif Yahya

Hi,

You can do internal analysis to check the airflow inside the case. Check the gravity when setting the wizard for the natural flow. For the opening, you have to know how much power you need to dissipate and from there try to estimate the opening first,  From there you can refine your model to meet your objective. hope it can give spark for you to move on.

Habib Toossi

Dear Syaif Yahya

Thank you for the reply

1 - I did make lid for the opening area inlet and outlet and did it very simple (just calculating the opening are)

2- I checked the gravity

3- I checked the heat conduction in solids

4-air  5 default solid and set to steel

Now when you assign BC to inlet and outlet environmental pressure you get warning (a vortex crosses the pressure opening)

what I did ?

I used external analysis and did not get any warring because I did not assigned any BC to the enclosure but I don't know this is the right way or not

i also assign solid material to all part for example I assigned Copper to the core and mild steel and so on

and also assigned heat generation rate 2000 w to my copper core

now i want to find out how much I have to open or close the inlet and outlet to create best natural convection and best velocity.

again thank you for put your time to read my Q

thank you

Habib Toossi

Syarif Yahya

Hello Habib,

Sorry, can you please explain to me what do you mean by BC?

Secondly, when you say best natural convection and best velocity, what do you mean by that?

Do you referred to highest velocity, or uniform temperature distribution or maybe you referred to highest natural convection heat transfer coeefficient? To answer this, i think you have to define the word "best". Once you define, then you can work on that. Sorry if i am misunderstand with your question.

Habib Toossi

HI

BC= boundary condition

And yes I used best I was wrong word and thank you to clear that for me

I want to create highest velocity, highest natural convection heat transfer coeefficient

Technically I want to highest air circulation and my core doesn't get too hot and cool down without using any fan

Because we can't use fan for power transformer

I check the temperature of my core before putting it inside the enclosure so as you see I want to design the inlet and outlet opening of the enclosure  to create the highest natural convection .

I also want to see the result and show it to other Eng in our company basically I want to show right simulation because some of them are against of useing solidworks flow simulation.

I did designed the enclosure that dose the job for me but i want to show it on solidworks flow simulation and also improve my design and show it in presentation to our costumers

I hope I have explain my self.

Again thank you for letting me know to change the word best.

Thank you

Habibollah TOOSSI