10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2012 5:36 PM by Qi Lu

    What is "Select Chain"?

    Qi Lu

      Hi,

       

      What exactly is "Select Chain" for "Offset Entities" command?

      http://help.solidworks.com/2012/English/SolidWorks/sldworks/t_Select_Chain.htm:

       

      Select Chain

      You can select a chain of entities attached to the selected entity in both directions until a branch is encountered.

      To select a chain of sketch entities:

      1. Right-click a sketch entity and choose Select Chain.   The entities of sketch geometry such as rectangles and polygons are selected. If the geometry includes branches, the chain stops at the branch. You can continue the selection manually. 
      2. You can hold Ctrl and select multiple chains.

       

      I searched on the web as for images and video examples but didn't find a pertinent example. Could someone tell me what this option actually does?

       

       

      Qi

        • Re: What is "Select Chain"?
          Glenn Schroeder

          Hello,

           

          I don't use that function myself, but I believe it is used as a convenience to select all the lines of a closed sketch without the need to Ctrl+select them all individually.  I'm at home now and don't have SW here, but I'm pretty sure that's correct.

          • Re: What is "Select Chain"?
            Ajay Marshal

            It is to select a closed loop in a single click and that makes our work easy.

            • Re: What is "Select Chain"?
              Kelvin Lamport

              Qi Lu wrote:


              You can select a chain of entities attached to the selected entity in both directions until a branch is encountered.

              That means the chain selection will stop where a junction occurs. Imagine driving along a road and coming to a T junction where a left or right turn is required. SW does not know which way you want it to turn, so it stops.

               

              The sketch doe not have to be a closed loop.

               

              Select Chain.jpg

                • Re: What is "Select Chain"?
                  Don Cheke

                  And it is very handy for checking to see if sketches are closed, if one imports dxf drawings for use as sketches. I often get profiles from vendors which are not closed and are not easily fixed with the repair function. The select chain help to identify trouble spots.

                    • Re: What is "Select Chain"?
                      Deepak Gupta

                      Don Cheke wrote:

                       

                      And it is very handy for checking to see if sketches are closed, if one imports dxf drawings for use as sketches. I often get profiles from vendors which are not closed and are not easily fixed with the repair function. The select chain help to identify trouble spots.

                      You can also use Check Sketch for Feature Usage for spotting these kinds of issues

                        • Re: What is "Select Chain"?
                          Qi Lu

                          2.png

                          Don,


                          I guess you meant the second case in the image here? If the loop has only one break in the first image above (manually splitted), the offset won't magnify that break; but if there are two breaks as in the lower image,  then you idea  works.

                           

                          Deepak,


                          I have tested Check Sketch for Feature Usage? I think it is the best way.

                           

                           

                          Qi

                    • Re: What is "Select Chain"?
                      John Burrill

                      Qi, Select Chain will select all contiguous sketch segments in both directions until it encounters an endpoint, a junction of more than two segments or until it closes back on itself.

                      Some commands such as convert edges and offset sketch entities have check-boxes that automatically chain select when you pick on a sketch segment.

                      Select Chain only applies to sketch segments whereas select loop, select open edges and select partial loop apply to model edges.

                      Learning to use these tools effectively will save you lots of time

                        • Re: What is "Select Chain"?
                          Qi Lu

                          Kelvin wrote:

                           

                          That means the chain selection will stop where a junction occurs. Imagine driving along a road and coming to a T junction where a left or right turn is required. SW does not know which way you want it to turn, so it stops. The sketch doe not have to be a closed loop.

                          John Burrill wrote:

                           

                          Qi, Select Chain will select all contiguous sketch segments in both directions until it encounters an endpoint, a junction of more than two segments or until it closes back on itself.

                          Some commands such as convert edges and offset sketch entities have check-boxes that automatically chain select when you pick on a sketch segment.

                          Select Chain only applies to sketch segments whereas select loop, select open edges and select partial loop apply to model edges.

                          Learning to use these tools effectively will save you lots of time

                          Kelvin and John,


                          Indeed I found it checks only contiguous segments. The third image attaches here is the same as Kelvin has shown; in addition, it seems that the functionality some intersections are not considered as “junction”s:


                          1. In the first two images, the junction is also the end point of the starting sketch line
                          2. In the third image, only end points extended recursively from the curve (or connected line segments, etc.) is considered, not the other two intersections made with the two parallel lines on the sides.

                           

                          1.png

                           

                          Qi