4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2012 1:27 PM by Mike Philipps

Laptop

Mike Philipps

Hi,

I was down at a local retailer looking at a new laptop.

The one that cuaght my eye was a Samsung Series 7, It had an I7 processor (Standard), 8 gig of Ram, and a Nvidia 630 M graphics card.

I went online and looked at the reviews, and it seems either it works great or it is a piece of crap, but you will know in 10 day, so a warranty will cover that issue.

But I wanted to know if anybody had tried using Solidworks on this machine. I do not plan on using it for large assemblies, or extensive photowork. I normally do small assemblies, ( 25 parts or less ) while on the road. I simplify everything for my laptop, as all the difficult stuff can be done on the desktop.

So I was hoping for some input before I plunk down my own cash for this machine

• Re: Laptop
          brian kohlenberg

http://www.solidworks.com/sw/support/videocardtesting.html

make sure the driver is compatable, else funny things happen with the dispaly. -bk

Jeff Holliday

It may or may not work because it is not an SW-approved graphics card. I would also suggest checking out the Dell Outlet for Mid-size offices. They have some very good prices on refurbished and/or scratched Precision workstation models. These would likely have the approved cards. I have bought 2 of them and they work very well. I believe HP has a site also.

Patrick Moody

I would say if you are not going to use a Pro GPU (FireGL or Quadro) then you should at least get something with a good gamer card (256-bit memory interface or up). The 630M has a 128-bit GPU, and even on my home desktop with a mid-level 128-bit gaming card, SolidWorks is insanely laggy. I could suffer through it, but it would be just that... Suffering.

I've seen many people happy with the results of SolidWorks on a higher end Gaming card. But the single common denominator is the memory bandwidth. Pro cards can be 128-bit or up, because the architecture is geared very much differently.

Just my 2-cents, take with a shaker of salt.

Mike Philipps

Thanks guys, I feel more informed going into this. I always wished that SolidWorks would make a "lighter version" so you couold design on the road.But I digress,

They had another laptop with a gamers card in it, might have to take a closer look at that.