10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2012 3:13 PM by Wesley Gibbs

3d sketch fail on missing plane

Wesley Gibbs

I built a tube chassis using 2d sketches on planes with 3d sketches connecting the various 2d sketches. Everything went fine until I went back to change something that has nothing to do with this 3d sketch that is failing. I changed some dimentions on another 2d sketch and the part failed to rebuild. When I continue and ignore solidworks crashes. When I stop and repair the first 3d sketch in the tree fails and when I investigate why it shows nothing wrong within the sketch. When you right click and click what's wrong, it tells you that it is missing the plane the sketch was created on. Why would a 3d sketch be created on a single plane? It doesn't make any sense. Does anyone have any possible answer?

• Re: 3d sketch fail on missing plane
          Wesley Gibbs

SW Capture.JPG

I found another problem that might be contributing to the 3d sketch fail. For some reason the front plane is no longer perpendicular to the right and top planes like it should. I had this same problem with a previous model and never found out why it was doing this so I made a new model and now a similar problem. Any guesses why?

Anna Wood

Post your model.....

Use the Advanced Editor link in the top right of the dialog box.

Cheers,

Anna

Mike Cole

First off I'd like to thank the forrum site for recoverring this data as I thought it had posted yesterday.

PrePicture (recoverred data)

Wesley,

"If you had a plane created in the 3d sketch that may be the problem those planes are created with constraints in the 3d sketch if you make an offset plane at a distance it gets a dimension for the offset if that dimension get's deleted the plane doesn't know where it's at most of the time you can create a new plane check the DisplayConstraints icon to see which constraints are under defined or the name of the plane that's missing Plane names will be shown in the property manager when no other command is active and you can select and rename the planes if you create a new one. Some screen shots of detailed error messages will help or if you have backups being created check for PartName.prt.backup etc"

Post picture

Looks like you found a Bug The first 3 Planes are static and cannot be Deleted let alone Editted. I congradulate Anna's courage for suggesting you to post the file I'd be scared to touch it. Maybe it was taken as a perspective view but even then the planes should not display differently.

Check your .prtdot Part Document Template File and do a measure between the planes and possibly recreate it cause you wouldn't want all your parts to have non orthogonal planes.

Maybe you've found the 4th dimension? SolidWorks had been 3d up till now maybe they'll start advertising 4D Cad.

This should definately be sent in to SolidWorks or your VAR as an SPR.

Edit01

Try removing any of the on plane constraints for entities on the missing plane and reassociating them to a newly created 3dSketch plane. The newer Plane UI has existed in 3dsketches for years before it replaced the former ref plane feature UI.

Michael

Wesley Gibbs

Anna,

I finally relized that you were telling me to use the advanced editor to post the model. For some reason I thought it was a function in Solidworks. Another fact I noticed is that the two model that had the planes oriented incorrectly were two files that were created in a previous version, like the year before, and then saved in the latest version. Once they were updated to the new version the planes got messed up somehow. The model was created in the 2011-2012 student version and then saved in the 2012-2013 student version.

Mike,

All the 3d sketches in the model do not have planes created in them. They only have lines interconnecting the 2d sketches. For some reason its not letting me post the pictures right on to the page, so I attached them. Also the model is there so you can possible recreate the error if you want.

Thanks for you help

Wesley

Wesley Gibbs

Mike

Have you had a chance to look at the model I uploaded? I gave up on it and then made a new model from scratch and I am still having the same problem. For some reason it keeps moving the front plane to an arbitrary angle. I would send it to solidworks but i am a student with student copy and really don't have any tech support. I don't think there are any relations to planes in the 3d sketchs. The 3d sketches are only related to the 2d sketches. I did some investigating in the new model I just created and the front plane is moving itself to the same plane as the first weldment that I create. In the weldment feature you create a profile of the feature you want to create and the tool extrudes the profile along a line in the sketches created. A plane is also created normal to the sketch line that you started with. This plane is what is parallel to the front plane now. Any help would be great.

Thanks

Wesley

Kelvin Lamport

Even with everything deleted, the Front Plane remains misaligned ... and the Origin is marked as being in error.

Front Plane Misaligned.png

Whether under subscription support or not, that is something which should be (needs to be) addressed by SW or the VAR.

That does not appear to be a "here's a simple workaround" type bug.

Having said that, try using a part template from another computer.

Ditmars Veinbachs

Hi Wesley

I looked at this model. The front plane is indeed corrupted. Even after repairing the plane data, I see a number of modeling issues with the reference axes in other planes.

I believe there is a flaw which allowed the plane to be changed. When did you first notice that the planes were bad? Do you recall the operation when the plane was corrupted?

Thanks

Ditmars

Wesley Gibbs

Ditmars,

The operation I believe caused the front plane to move is when I created the first weldment structural member. For some reason the front plane moves to be parallel with reference geometry created when making the structural member. Attached is the second model I created which seem to have corrupted in a similar way.

How do you send this problem to SolidWorks for review?

Thanks for all you help? I though it was something I did but possible not.

Wesley

Ditmars Veinbachs

Hi Wesley

Can you attach the model before the front plane is corrupted? A description/selections/etc of the member you are creating would also be helpful.

These reference planes should never change. I can pass this information on to our QA engineers. They will create a software problem report for the issue.

Thanks

Ditmars

Wesley Gibbs

2011 chassis planes.PNG

Ditmars

The picture above is one that the front plane is on the correct plane but is oriented at an angle. This happened to the file after it was saved from an older version of solid works to the 2012 version. Keep in mind I have a student version of the program. I attached these two files, Chassis2011 is the older version and doesn't seem to be corrupt though it shows an error for a reference plane. This plane is just an offset of the front plane, so I think that there is somewhat of a problem with the model. I never had issues with the older version of SolidWorks, 2009, but started when we switched to the 2012 version. The Chassis2013 model was created solely in the 2012 SolidWorks version, so I don't think the conversion is the sole issue. Some of the models I have are so corrupt that they won't even open and the Chassis2012 is the best one I found so far. You might try to open it in an older version if you have one.

Thanks for you time

Wesley