7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2012 1:13 AM by Ken Fernandez

GPU GT 650M

Sems Semss

Hello

I can't get this clear by searching Google. I hope you guys can help.

I want to buy a laptop and i need to know if the GPU, GT 650M can run Solidworks well?

Because the GT650M is more a gaming GPU. I heard that for running Solidworks i better get a quadro or something.

I need to run Solidworks, but not all the time or something. Just when i get a task or something.

Somebody can help?

Thanks in advance

• Re: GPU GT 650M
          Jerry Steiger

Sems,

It might or it might not. Some people are happy with gamer cards, some people are not. If you usually run SW on a desktop machine and only rarely need to use the laptop, then you might be OK. Even if the graphics card sucks, you might get usable, if slow, performance by using Software OpenGL.

Jerry Steiger

Sems Semss

Thanks for your response.

But i need to know for sure if the GT650M will run solidworks correctly before buying a laptop. So does somebody else know?

Jeff Holliday

Unfortunately, your question is difficult to answer. I'm sure some people will have used it satisfactorily while others may have problems. It will depend on the type of usage (large assy, multibody parts, surfaces, etc), the memory size and the processor speed. The specs suggested by SWorks Corp are posted to give a "comfort" factor of the success. Getting a unit which starts at their minimum normally will work with less problems.

Ken Fernandez

Sems et al.,

I'm also seriously considering a laptop with the 650M.  One user has reported very good results with the 640M LE, which is an underclocked version of the 640M.  The 650M is even more powerful than the 640M, so I would guess it will work just fine, but as others have noted the processor, RAM, and video card memory are also important factors. 

Please post on your experience with the 650M.  I will do the same.

These are the specs that I am considering:

Model Highlights: Lenovo Y380  Part number: 20938RU

Processor: 3rd generation Intel Core i7-3630QM Processor( 2.40GHz 6MB)

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT650M 2GB

RAM: 8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM 1600 MHz

Hard Drive: 1TB 5400 rpm

or

Model Highlights:  ASUS N56VZ-DS71

Processor:   3rd Generation Intel® Ivy Bridge Core™ i7-3610QM

Graphics:  nVidia GeForce GT 650M 2,048MB PCI-Express GDDR3

RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (2x4GB)

Hard Drive: ~240GB SSD

keno

Walter Fetsch

Perhaps you could do a little research on these forums and see if you can find out if your question has already been answered.  Search for 'gamer card' and see what advice has been given to the multitude of previous inquiries on this subject.