3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2012 2:30 PM by Brad Baker

What's on your iPad? How are you using the eDrawings app?

Dan Bertschi

Hi Everyone,

The launch of eDrawings on the iPad intrigues me, and I'd like to get a realistic idea of the demand for its use.  As designers, we see things a bit differently from some of the consumers of this new eDrawing app.  I know there are some SW users that will use he app for various reasons, and some of us will get it just because it's cool & we already have an iPad.  I'm really curious about its use in other areas such as Sales/Marketing/Review/Manufacturing and so on.

I'm sure there are many reasons for SW creating the apps, and choosing the iPad.  This has been discussed in many other threads & blogs, so, no need to repeat it.  I would like to know:  What are the real needs it will serve?  How will it be used in your organization? Which iPad owners will have the app and use it to access SW models/drawings and for what specific purposes?

Yes, it's definitely COOL, but I'm seeking the real future use of this app... where do you think it will go and how will it be used beyond the engineering/design department?

Thanks for your input...  hopefully, this thread will provide many others with ideas to maximize the use of the app, and get the most value out of their models!

Looks like it's time for me to buy an iPad, black or white?

• Re: What's on your iPad? How are you using the eDrawings app?
          Mario Caletz

Hi, I work for monroe county department of eviromental. My job is a mechanic for the waste water colloction system and treatment plant. I had done many mechanical machinary rebuilds from pumps to large gear box's,modified eqipment base or structure for integrety, also we have restored pumping station; so you can imagine the duties being conducted. I personally own a IPad and Im currently have been using solidworks for the department, two weeks now. the goal is to use SW for quick redesigns and modification before any project are initiated; so I find the edrawing app. useful out in the field. I've yet used it, But my goal is if theirs a station or in the facility needing a modifiaction or installation we go to SW create it then to edrawing where I or someone else will have every info needed to make the job easier and/or successful. I hope that help

• Re: What's on your iPad? How are you using the eDrawings app?
            Brad Baker

I am currently a student and soon to be Professor of Mechanical Engineering.  I use SolidWorks to design and model material performance in a variety of test situations.  I have used SolidWorks to design a new testing device that will hopefully allow new experimental data to be gathered.  SolidWorks is very helpful in providing design specifications as well as finite element modeling of structures.

I planned to use eDrawings app as primarily a very convenient way to show parts and assemblies to other researches, machinists, students, and supervisors to discuss design applications.  I would not plan on using eDrawings to make any design modifications as I think those are more readily done on a PC, however, having the ability to show parts and assemblies with all of the normal view features (rotating, zooming, exploded view, etc.) real time vice just showing captured images would be extremely useful.

Unforunately (and I know not related to this thread), I can not get eDrawings to even slighlty begin to work on my iPad with any of my models.

I think this app has great potential for viewing and sharing designs vice actually creating or conducting large edits to them.