AnsweredAssumed Answered

What are the real-life requirements for PDM server + questions

Question asked by Samuel Leith on Sep 14, 2012
Latest reply on Sep 17, 2012 by Steve Ostrovsky

Hi everyone,

here's some background info:

Company size is about 20 employees, and we are only 2 to do CAD and that have Solidworks licenses.

As of today, the company does not have a server.

I'm looking into getting a server to

1) install PDM workgroup on

2) to do non-SW tasks that are common to servers (ie. computer backups, for example).

Question 1)

What are the real-life PDM requirement for the server? What do you use?

I want to select a server that will have plenty of performance margin for potential future expansion (ie. more employees, upgrade to PDM enterprise, etc)

Question 2)

This came mind:

At the moment, we (the 2 guys doing CAD work) are using our own Solidworks libraries, which we individually build over time.

Not the most efficient.

Now if we move the library to the server, which would be the right thing to do, what happens when we use a component in assembly, and then bring our laptop to the customer's facilities to present? Do we lose access to all our components that were pulled off the server? This makes no sense - so I'm sure I have nothing to worry about, but I'd still like to know how this is handled.

Also, since some Solidworks would be done over the network as opposed to everything being done locally as of now, is there a slow-down?

I suppose that depends on the network, so again, what are the recommendations here?

Thanks!

Outcomes