8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2012 3:10 PM by Jerry Steiger

Reasons to Upgrade from Solidworks 2005

James M

At my previous company we always maintained the newest version of solidworks. When I left we were on Solidworks 2012. I have moved to a new company that now uses Solidworks 2005 and am trying to think of ways to convince them to upgrade because there is some key functionaility that I miss and noticed it could help improve things around here.

Some key functions I miss are:

1. Pack and go

2. "Move" In Solidworks Explorer

3. Ability to access Solidworks Explorer Functions From Windows Explorer

4. Advanced Mates such as Limit Mate, Width Mate, Screw Mate, Hinge Mate

5. General Tables in Drawings

6. Xperts Tools

I am sure I will find more things that I miss the more I work here / the further I get involved, but was wondering if you solidworks guru's can mention some other basic functions & features that have been added that really improve / boost productivity that I could use to try and convince my company to upgrade. They work a lot with an outside consultant and you can imagine the pain of not having pack and go. Also "Move" in solidworks explorer was an amazing tool for when you had a standard part used in lots of assemblies.

To me the above list is worth the upgrade, but I think I need more ammunition to convince the old timers here that it will be worth changing the version they know and love and that the upgrade will be worth the effort of learning the new version.

Thanks for your help!

• Re: Reasons to Upgrade from Solidworks 2005
          Jerry Steiger

James,

You can check out what has been added by going through the What's New Guides that Ricky Jordan has compiled here:

http://www.rickyjordan.com/whats-new-guides

You may want to wait for SW2013, depending on what kind of work you do.

Jerry Steiger

Troy Peterson

This may be a hard sell for you. If they are able to function with a version that is now 8 versions old it doesn't sound like they would be willing to put out the money to become current. I.E. All new computers and graphics cards running win 7 for each seat as 2013 doesn't run on XP, plus at this point I am not sure they can just start their subscription service back-up, so that would mean purchasing the software again with subscriptions.

Alin Vargatu

Ask them how much time they spend dimensioning drawings. How much time they spend creating and managing configurations?

Glenn Schroeder

Here where I work we started with SW2009, and management intended to skip SW2010.  I convinced them that three improvements introduced in SW2010 would save enough time to justify upgrading (the vastly improved Mirror Components function in assemblies, the mid-plane option for creating new planes, and the Select Bodies function for detailing multi-body parts).  There have been more improvements since then.  And I don't even want to think about having to do without Pack and Go.

I would just explain to them that the increased productivity will justify the cost.  The newer version will allow you to get more work done in less time.

Troy mentioned that you will need Win7 to run SW2013, but you don't have to upgrade all the way to SW2013, you could get on SW2012 instead if your hardware won't run SW2013.

Good luck,

Glenn

Chris Mueller

Some of the enhancements you get from year to year are simple productivity enhancements which allow you to work faster.  Some of the things no one has mentioned are "S" key, mouse gestures, and the instant menus that come up.  I would estimate that these and other productivity enhancements allow us to work 1-2% faster every year.  So in James' case, a leap in productivity of 10% or more.  All you need to do is say to your bosses "Would you like to get 200 more hours out of me this year"? 

Alin Vargatu

Also, do you create or work with Large Assemblies?

James M

Alin Vargatu,

Here are some assembly statistics from a typical project:

Total Number of Components: 409

Parts: 365

Unique Parts: 164

Unique Part Documents: 164

Sub-Assemblies: 44

Unique sub-assemblies: 28

Unique sub-assembly documents: 28

Resolved Components: 398

Suppressed Components: 11

Lightweight Components: 0

Number of top level mates: 465

Number of top level components: 183

Number of Bodies: 646

Maximum depth: 4

Note: Components of suppressed sub-assemblies are excluded from these statistics.

Windows 7 is something I hadn't thought about, that might indeed be a very difficult sell as well, although we only really have 3 people running solidworks. Myself, a manufacturing engineer and the outside consultant, however both of them are old timers and both pretty set in their ways...

Jerry Steiger

James,

As an aside, you have a lot top level mates in that assembly, due, no doubt, to the high number of top level parts. SolidWorks would be happier and work faster if you could add some subassemblies to move most of those mates to a lower level. From my reading in these forums, it seems like keeping your top level mates below 100 or so is a good idea.

If selling it to the old timers is your primary problem, I would focus on what they would like to see improved. Talk to them about what they don't like and what seems to take too long, then see if those issues are addressed in one of the newer versions. If you've got a good VAR they will help you with this and give the old codgers a demonstration that will get them on your side.

Jerry Steiger (who is old, but hopes he is not in the way) (making reference to a song that only the old will know)