8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2012 3:24 PM by Jerry Steiger

Saving problem

Demitri Duwadi

I've been working on an assembly and I had done about 2 hours of work and saved it before I had to close Solidworks. I tried to open it now and the 2 hours of work I put in are gone and it's back to where Solidworks autosaved before a crash 2 hours beforehand. I looked in the folder I saved it in and the save that I had made isn't there. Is there some option that's 'causing Solidworks to save over files and revert them back to autosaves from crashes? This is the second time this has happened, the first time I wasn't that far in and didn't think much of it, but it's really annoying.

• Re: Saving problem
          Demitri Duwadi

Whenever I open the document it shows all the work I had and then takes like 5 seconds of lagging and loads the old autosaved document.

John Burrill

Demitri, there isn't a feature coded into the software that does by-design what you've described.

Possible explanations:

1) In 2012, there's a dialog that promts you to open the autosaved version instead of the current version.  If you're clicking through that, that might explain what's happening

2) A subassembly that makes up the bulk of your work didn't save because it was loaded read-only and you weren't prompted to save it because you checked "Don't prompt to save read-only referenced documents." in Options: System Options: collaboration

Recommendations:

3)You Somebody else changed a custom property or bumped the revision on the assembly in the vault and when it prompted 'the file on your machine is older than the one in the vault, do you want to throw away your work?" and you clicked through it.  I've done that.

Possible remedies

First, check your recent documents in windows explorer and see if you saved it someplace other than where you thought you did

Second, go to the autosave and back-up locations listed in Options:system Options: Backup/Recover and see if there's a back-up that you can salvage

It sucks to lose work, and we've all been there.

Good luck.

Demitri Duwadi

John,

Thank you very much for the response it was really helpful. Our company has recently gone through a server change and before it happened I think I had the document opened and it wouldn't let me save modifications to said document because it said it was opened (even though I was using the same desktop) I ended up just saving a copy of the file with a different name and it worked, though.

Jerry Steiger

Demitri,

I don't know of any setting that would cause that type of behavior.

People, including one of my colleagues, have reported that a SolidWorks crash can cause recently saved files to disappear. Did SolidWorks crash on you, ending the session in which you had saved the now lost work?

Jerry Steiger

Demitri Duwadi

Jerry,

That must have been it, after I saved it and closed it, it crashed as it was closing. That's a bummer, thanks for the reply.

Jerry Steiger

Demitri,

That is really scary if it is what happened. Are you quite sure that it wasn't one of the possibilities that John mentioned? I ask especially because you say it happened twice and it seems like this is normally a very rare occurrence. The colleague that reported a similar failure to me seems to have more problems getting the right files because he does a lot of work in multiple folders, whereas I do almost all of my work in a single folder. I've always been suspicious that perhaps it was more of a lost file than a file being deleted. (Although I can't square that with his "eye witness" testimony.)

Jerry Steiger

Demitri Duwadi

Jerry,

I did have multipul file locations at the begining because I had taken a model from a different folder and it started saving everything to that folder as well as the folder I had initially started for this project. It happened again and it keeps going to an old auto-save file look that's very basic in the design and not very far in so I always almost have a heart attack as I've put about 3 days of work into this project so far and my boss wants it soon. After it happens I go through recently closed documents though and it's the only assembly of the project, so maybe it's bugged in that sense. I close Solidworks and open it directly from the folder and it usually works. I recently changed everything to one file and have been working on it today and haven't had it happen yet. The autosave that kept loading was in the autosave folder (Even though it wasn't a recently opened document, which confused the heck out of me and made me worried when I was opening the assembly from recently closed documents), the one I was working on was in the project folder and an older version was in a different file location on accident.

In short: I think it was just multipul file locations that were 'causing problems because I was able to recover the most up to date versions that I had saved by just opening it directly from the last saved place, through solidworks.