12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2012 1:54 PM by Serge J. Gendron

Multiple line block attributes

Serge J. Gendron

I use to make lots of blocks with prompted attrubutes in AutoCad years ago. But now I cannot create the same in SW. Does anyone have a SW block with multiple line attribute I could edit or explode so I can understand how it's created.

I have read lots of information on the subject and still don't understand how to make one.

Thanks in advance

Serge

• Re: Multiple line block attributes
          Bernie Daraz

I have done quite a bit of what you describe in AutoCAD years ago. I believe the closest similiarly described method would be Custom Properties in SolidWorks.

Of course i'm assuming that you're trying to set up annotations related to or tied the models you're creating.

John Burrill

This is one that I imported for a job I had a few years back.

You create the attributes as regular text; define the block; edit it in place and then select the text that you want to be attributes and specify the tag and attributes in the property manager

block_attribute_def.PNG

Try it out and let me know if you get stuck.

John

Serge J. Gendron

Thank you very much John,

I will have a look & play with it and get back to you.

Regards

Serge

Serge J. Gendron

Good Morning John,

I had difficulties with the file you included with your response and don't know why. But I created one that I don't have entirely correct and would like to send it to you for comments.

I have the leader working the way I want but I can't access the attributes I created.

Regards

Serge

Bernie Daraz

Serge,

I see what you are talking about now. It is quite common now for drawings to contain a BOM and use balloons to denote the information, that minimizes repetition and cluttering of the field of the drawing. The method you show is quite old now, I don't mean to insult or embarrass you.

With the power of the software even notes are now parametric. In your example, you would have to edit the note to update to a change or revision. Using balloons they would update automatically. OK, it's not exactly that easy, there's a bit of setup to do with that using custom properties that SW has even in it's default shipping state.

We produce our own line of products so our setup was still time consuming but everyone works the same way here. Everyone's drawings look alike. Consistency is gained by the use of templates.

You could add some custom properties to your (block) notes but only after exploding (I believe). Using styles you may be able to add more to your notes or at least make them more like your example.

Setting drawing/drafting standards that work well in your environment is not as easy as copying others. It might work though and if nothing else you have a good starting point.

John Burrill

I'm looking that over now, Serge.

OK, I've looked.  Looking at your block I think I see where you ran into trouble.

You made blocks out of the individual attributes and tehn nested those blocks along with your static text inside of another block.

I exploded the blocks around the attributes and now the annotation works as expected.

You can modify the attributes values by double-clicking on them or by selecting the block and then selecting the 'attributes button' in the property manager.

block_attribute_def2.PNG

You should try to modify the block definition yourself as a learning experience, but I've uploaded the modified version incase you get stuck.

Bernie Daraz

I like John's suggestion, I had never looked into that. I currently use 6 different sheet formats for the combination of material and finishes we use for our products. We only use a D size sheet. Each format chosen has all the current notes (blocks as you describe) as well as the custom properties for part number, rev and material notes and a few others. It's a simple matter of deleting the ones that do not apply much as you suggested.

For the most part when I make a drawing, I drag the assembly onto the sheet and virtually everything is populated.

Serge J. Gendron

Good Morning Bernie,

Could you please see my response to John and also check the attachment I included and could I get your comments.

Thanks very much.

Regards

Serge

Bernie Daraz

Serge,

I've attatched a screenshot showing where I would enter my custom properties and a PDF file of the drawing. I colored all the text RED that is imported from the custom properties shown in that screenshot. I think this combination are what would serve you best.

Then again, I really don't know anything of your actual needs and operational requirements. This method has plenty of advantages and yet I feel it could still be improved upon.

By the way, do you have any relatives in CT named Bob?

Note: I tried uploading files two times and the forum said there was an unexpected error both times. I'll try again later. (now 5 times!)