Eli, try putting a sliding fixture on the long edges (all 4) of the plates the force is applied to.
Hi Eli: yes I encounter this frequently. I have found that the message indicates some component is "loose", i.e., bonded contacts may not be bonding where you believe they should be. There could be a tenuous connection at cylindrical surfaces (such as pin to bearing connections, which are "line" contacts and may not actually bond due to differing mesh density across components). As a result of this, I resort to installing my own contact sets.
A rather quick way to diagnose which component is loose is to sequentially right click on components in the analysis tree, and "exclude from analysis", and attempt a run. When it does run, you've identified the component(s) which is/are loose.
Stuart's suggestion is a good one, too. You can try to clamp-down on components until you've identified the one that is loose.
Alternatively, since there is symmetry in geometry, loads and materials, you can cut the assembly in half down the vertical, longitudinal plane. Install roller/slider fixtures on the cut (exposed) faces and that will help tremendously to restrain the model, and reduce solution time.
Hope that helps - Tony
Thank you for the tips everyone.
I've tried your suggestions and sometimes it works but usually I just get a different error.
If I quarter the model, set symmetry conditions at the cut interfaces, and then individually set all contact sets as 'no penetration', I get the following error when it tries to calculate the simulation:
"The Interative Solver stopped
Status code:8 FILE_ERROR
No results saved."
Sometimes when I run it, I get a windows error:
"STAR has stopped working
[check online for a solution... or close the program]"
Any thoughts on what these errors might be from and how to fix them?
Hi Eli: those messages appear to be (as was explained to me via tech support) a 'corrupted database'. "How does that happen?...", I inquired. They indicated they really do not know (perhaps the code developers do, however).
Try this to (hopefully) clear it up:
Shut down and reboot computer.
Start up solidworks and turn-on the simulation add-in.
Open the assembly, then copy and paste the study you wan to run, to a new one.
Delete the old study.
Close the model and close solidworks and reopen all that, yet again.
Try to run the model at this point.
Eli, sometimes these errors are associated with the location of your simulation files. I have had these problems in the past, especially the "STAR has stopped working". The cause was (I think) my AV software not allowing SW to write to the designated location. Try setting your simulation file location on your local hard disk - I simply created a 'SolidWorksSimulationResults" folder on my 'C' drive and set Simulation to use that location and all problems went away. Also, sometimes when the Iterative solver stops, you can restart it and allow the simulation to continue.
Hi Stuart and Anthony,
thank you both for the tips. Unfortunately I tried both and could not get the issue resolved.
(I changed the file location for both the simulation results and the report by going to 'Simulation->options->default options->results...' )
I also tried running it with my antivirus program disabled - same error.
Any other ideas?
thank you very much,
I've had wretched luck with global bonded contact. I find things turn out better if I use global=free and set bonds and interferences individually. I think analyses also go faster because then the model is not "hunting" for changes in contact or bonding beyond what is specified.
I've found some work arounds that will work, so I wanted to thank everyone who chipped in and post what I found worked.
To properly restrain it, a sliding fixture at the side face of the beams worked well.
To fix the STAR crash, I tried the suggested tips, and many permeatations, but couldn't get a clean solution. I had two configurations that I wanted to compare. A global 'no penetration' connection worked fine in one configuration, but the STAR error popped up if I tried to do the exact same thing in the other configuration. To get this configuration to run, I had to go through and individually apply the no penetration contact set, and then it ran.