2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2012 11:44 PM by Qi Lu

Functionality expansion history of Solidworks?

Qi Lu

Hi,

Where can I know the "functionality history" of Solidworks?

I am asking these because as quoted in Guide curve: more for aesthetics than functionality?, John Burrill has also told me some history on how “Guide curve” for Sweep and Loft are introduced into SW:

https://forum.solidworks.com/message/314105#314361

Also, as a little background. Before Soldiworks 2001 (I think), in order to create a guide curve or a path for a sweep or loft, you had to explicitly create a pierce relation to the every profile. When 2001 came out a coincident relationship between a profile and an endpoint of a path was sufficient.

which is just one example of how functionalities have been expanded and changed over the years.

I have just started learning SW for a few days and frequently got lost in choosing which functionality to study or not. For example, I have put lots of time in "pierce relation" (see Does pierce relation still exist in Solidworks 2012), which is normally only used together with sweep feature; it also took me several hours to understand "boundary", which I eventually found Matt Lombard described in SolidWorks 2011 Parts Bible as being "relatively new to SolidWorks".

As Solidworks evolved from version 95's release to this year which has been 17 years, there obviously have been lots of improvements made and new features added. However, I believe relatively smaller set of "core functionalities" should always be the underpinning of the software, and it is to my best advantage if I start from learning these "core" features as a more efficient strategy of learning Solidworks.

I tried to find this information in release history. However, what I could only find on the Internet is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SolidWorks#Release_history which gives a version history, not functionality history.

Could someone refer me to these kind of "core functionality" list of Solidworks?

Qi