1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 13, 2014 12:45 AM by Chris Kelley

RapidWorks with 3Dconnexion SpaceNavigator

Brian Robinson

Hello, I was wondering if anyone is using RapidWorks with the 3Dconnexion SpaceNavigator.  I cannot seem to get the 3D mouse to act the same way as it does in SolidWorks.  Using a regular mouse to move objects in 3D space is rather archaic.

3Dconnexion lists RapidForm as supported software, but I wonder if this includes RapidWorks.  3Dconnexion Properties only lists Any Application.

Tilt, spin, and roll work fine, but pan and zoom do not.  Parts seem to move slow then accelerate off in space.

In 3Dconnexion properties under the App Configuration tab I tried setting Dominant, but this does not help.

In 3Dconnexion properties under the Advanced Settings tab I set the Zoom to Reversed, which helped marginally.

In RapidWorks File Preferences I changed View Manipulation Style to SolidWorks and Zooming Center to Mouse Position, but they do not help.

SolidWorks 2010 x64 SP5.0

RapidWorks 64 3.5.0

Windows 7 SP1 64bit

3Dconnexion 3.15.6

Thanks for any input.

Peter Ferreira

• Re: RapidWorks with 3Dconnexion SpaceNavigator
          Chris Kelley

Searching for this exact problem... not a SW user, but I've got RW 3.5.1, Win 7 Pro 64 bit, 32 GB of RAM and AMD FirePro W5000 workstation graphics card.

I believe there are two steps required for this. First I did as outlined above, then also increased the acceleration of the 3dconnexion mouse explorer fpr panning and zooming. 

The next part was I noticed some settings in the Rapidworks in File -> Preferences, Tolerance tab, there is a "Maximum Radius of Analytic Shape" which was set to 1300 mm. My model is bigger than that, which explains why when zooming, parts of my model would disappear. 

Then in the Hardware tab that seemed like they could be tweaked, so I changed a few things to "Hardware". Note that "Use video RAM for Rendering Acceleration" in my case made the model disappear when not in motion.

Ultimately, I'm using a combination of the 3dconnexion explorer and the normal mouse wheel for zooming in and out. And when the model flies off the screen, I CTRL+F to re-center it.

From my experience using the 3D mouse in Rhino 3D, I believe the 3D mouse will occasionally move or reset the origin of the view. In Rhino, touching the 3D mouse presents a blue circle where this origin is. I've noticed similar behavior in Rhino when the circle has jumped: any input makes the model move off screen rapidly.