9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2018 5:59 PM by Paul Salvador

Parasolid (.x_t) V's STEP (.stp) or IGES (.igs)

Dor Yacobi

For all of you cad master that leave here.

what is the best way?

what are the advantage and disadvantage of them?

wich is better when leaving an old cad system and going to solidworks?

• Re: Parasolid (.x_t) V's STEP (.stp) or IGES (.igs)
          Anna Wood

What was your old CAD system?

Cheers,

Anna

Dor Yacobi

UG.

but it's more of an information question.

some times we ask for extrnal companye files.

some times we are beeen asked to send cad files.

Peter Farnham

Hi Don,

I would ask the Companies that you supply the files too, for their prefered file type.

Our insurance company can not open IGES files from Solidworks but can open the .x_t step files.

Be very AWARE about sending dwg or dfx files from Solidworks to profile cutters as the don't export 1:1 scale.

We ended up with miniature profiles because of this as they loaded the dfx file direct in to their machine. A right Gotcha!

We have now added a "huge" note on the orders and any emails we have sent since.

Regards

Pete

Kevin De Smet

The originating CAD system question is a very valid one, because it can determine the quality of translation for which format you will want to send and receive from SolidWorks to/from the other system.

Parasolid requires no to very little translation at all to another CAD that also uses Parasolid, such as NX does (I think UG also used Parasolid but I'm not sure) on the other hand, if the other system uses a different kernel then STEP is king.

Generally this is the rule of thumb for different CAD as far as I know:

• To/from CATIA: STEP214
                    • To/from NX: .X_T
                    • To/from SolidEdge: .X_T
                    • To/from Pro/ENGINEER: STEP214
                    • To/from Creo: STEP214
                    • To/from Alias: STEP214

For very old and legacy CAD systems then IGES is not a bad idea because it's an older standard that's been around for much longer so older systems might handle it better.

Steven Dod

It is my understanding the Parasolid is the base format for SWX, NX, ProE, etc.  We regularly trade files with vendors and suppliers and I have found Parasolid to be the best for us.  Is saves and opens quickly and the file sizes are usually a lot smaller.  When we get STEP, and especially IGES, we wind up getting a lot of surfaces and have import issues.  My preferences are:

1. Parasolid binary (x_b)
                  2. Parasolid text (x_t)
                  3. STEP
                  4. Original format (ProE, SoldEdge)
                  5. IGES

Steve

Scott Ellery

Generally it is Parasolid , STEP and then IGES

that being said what version of SOLIDWORKS are you talking about?

in SOLIDWORKS 2017 and newer you can natively read Proe, NX, Inventor, SolidEdge and CATIA (requires premium license) and there is no translation using 3DInterconnect, it reads the file and imports, so if you have NX files to import I would use those.

also in SOLIDWORKS 2018 that functionality extends to STEP, IGES and ACIS so I would argue since STEP no longer requires translation that it is the best format but I have not had time to test this.