8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2012 7:16 AM by Jesse Jensen

Multiple Define Title Blocks?

Jesse Jensen

I am going though and touching up a Drawing Template I made for the company I work for.  I did the Define Title Block for the main title block so I can easily and quickly add data to it. 

Another part of the Template contains another area that we enter Technical Data which I would like to use the (Define Title Block) Style for quick data entry, but do not want it lincluded in the main Title Block.

Is there a way I can do this?

Attached is the Template I have.

Thanks

Jess

• Re: Multiple Define Title Blocks?
          Daen Hendrickson

Jesse,

You might consider driving the information in your Technical Data area with custom properties and using the Property Tab for the quick data entry.

Daen

John Burrill

Jesse, titleblocks are stored in the sheet format-so you can only have one per sheet.  For the other area, you might try using a block with text attributes-which you populate by double-clicking-similar to the way the title-block works.

Dean's idea of using the task pane property manager to populate the technical information is also a good-one.  Any custom properties not already in the drawing will be added to the drawing by the task pane when y ou click Apply, so it doesn't require you to rework your existing drawings.

John

Jesse Jensen

Can either of you give me a quick run down on how to use the task pane property manager to do this?  I have the 2012 Solidworks Drawing Book and it does not explaint o me on how to do this and Although I am decent at using SW, the template side of it is new to me.

Thanks

Jess

John Burrill

In the start menu, Solidworks program group, there's a subfolder: Solidworks Tools. UNder that is an application called property tab builder.  This is used to layout a panel with controls that are assigned to custom properties.

You build a form with this interface, save it as a file in the 'custom properties files" location specified in Options: System Options: File Locations.  This location can be centralized on the network.

You'll need to point your users to this location, either manually or with a registry file (executing via login-script is a good way to make sure everyone has it) and train them on how to use the property tabl.  Do not skip that part.  Despite its having been part of the ui for four releases now, not very many people are familiar with it.

Once you open the 'property tab builder' application, the online help will detail out the steps needed to build the page.

One last thing, you have to have the Task Pane showing in order to access the property manager (View==>Task Pane)

Take a stab at it and let us know if you get stuck.

John

Daen Hendrickson

Jesse,

Take a look in the help file at the section on the Property Tab Builder (separate utility program to build your tab interface.)

For each text item in your Technical Data area you will need to create a custom property in the drawing template. The Property tab will auto-create missing custom properties, but I think it is cleaner to have them already there. You can even fill these with default inputs if you want.

On your template's sheet format, add a note for each text item in your Technical Data area and link this to the matching custom property. Should look like $PRP:"my_drawing_custom_prop_name_here". Place all the notes. When you have the layout as you want it, be sure to save your sheet format some place.

Your Technical Data area is now controlled by the custom properties. Make a change in the props, your drawing updates.

The next step is to create a Property Tab with the inputs you need. You will use the property tab builder utility to create text boxes, drop-down lists, date fields, check boxes, etc. If your elements are to have a selection list of some sort, they can be linked to hard-coded lists, text files, Excel worksheets, database tables. The benefits include consistency and reduced repetitive data entry.

Once your property tab is built and saved, it will be available in the task pane. Your workflow would be to launch a new drawing based on your template, open the property tab, fill in the data there, and shazam! Your custom properties AND your Technical Data area on your drawing sheet will be updated.

You need a second, third, fifty-ninth page to your drawing. The Technical Data area is pre-filled out when you add the new page. If your Technical Data area needs to have different data on different pages of your drawing this method won't work for that.

Daen

Jesse Jensen

Thank you both for the help on this!  It works great and is simple to use once everything is programmed in. I am setting it up to do multiple tables this way on the drawings using multiple templates.

None of Solidworks Course books cover this and I wish it did.  This is going to be a huge value to me going forward.  I wish i could select both of you for the correct answer, more so since on each reply you both were minutes apart.  So I flipped a coin.

Thank you both for the help!

Jess

Daen Hendrickson

Jess,

Glad it worked out for you.

That coin toss might be a great enhancement request for the forum - click here to randomly anoint.

Daen

Jesse Jensen

Personally I do not agree with the setup now.  I can see if there is 1 correct post, to mark it Correct.  But if you have multiple correct posts in a single thread, it can be misleading to new users looking for an answer on a question they have.

I own a forum (www.usaoutdoors.org) so I know how users search for topics.  I rather have multiple correct ways to do something rather than just one when more options are available to complete a task.