0 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2012 3:00 PM by Sorin Cerghet

Creating and organizing a design library in EPDM

Sorin Cerghet

We are in the process of setting up our company's EPDM. One discussion we currently have is about how we are going to create/organize our design library. This will be comprised of downloaded models from the web (portals & companies), as well as standard parts (created by our designers) that are used on a daily basis.

The range of products used is fairly large, so our approach was to categorize them.  We are thinking to create a folder/subfolder like structure with (5) levels.

First level: Product categories.
      1.Electrical; 2.Hardware; 3.Hydraulics; 4.Industrial materials; 5.Linear motion; 6 Lubrication; 7.Pneumatics; 8.Rotary motion; 9.Temperature

Second level: Product lines. For simplicity I will list only (some of )the product lines for the "Rotary motion" category.
      8.1. Bearings;  8.2. Belts; 8.3. Couplings; 8.4. Seals; 8.5. Locknuts, etc.

Third level: Product groups (short list below).
      8.1.1. Ball bearings; 8.1.2.Roller bearings, etc

Forth level: Product name (short list below)
      8.1.1.1. Angular contact bearings; 8.1.1.2. Deep groove ball bearings;

Fifth (....and last level):  Brand

8.1.1.1.1 SKF; 8.1.1.1.2. NSK, 8.1.1.1.3. FAG, etc

So, let's take an example of a designer who needs to use an angular contact bearing in a machine tool spindle assembly. He or she will search first in the design library. If it is not available, will download it from the web and save it in our design library. The file card for the part will have these (5) fields as well. Afterwards, the part can be inserted in the spindle assembly.

I was searching the forums to get feedback from other users on how their libraries were set-up. I know that there are many out there like our group, that use a wide variety of parts, so I was hoping to get their experienced advise in this matter.

Is our approach a good one? Are there other ways to do it? Any opinion is appreciated.

Thank you.