4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2012 8:29 PM by Glenn Schroeder

Renaming Files

Jake Drews

Hi There,

I am nearing completion of an R&D project of about 50-75 parts.  During this preliminary phase, I named the files fairly logically - as it relates to my project.  However, once complete, we upload our parts into PDM Works and use a specific naming convention, such as: FP400_HYDR_LUBE_TANK (and so on).

So my question is:  Can I go through and rename these files within SolidWorks so that I dont lose my references?  I could just rename the files one by one in Windows, but then I have to locate the part through solidworks and it would take a long time. (although this is how we do it currently).

Recap:

- Project has 75 files in assembly (and subassemblies)

- Need to change ALL of the names of the files

Thanks!

• Re: Renaming Files
          Bjorn Hulman

Jake,

have a go with Pack and Go. If you run this on an assembly or drawing file it will take all related files with it. The interface has a select/replace tool which is very helpful once you get to know it. I'll let this video do the rest of the explaining

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2_CH9HSbgo

Depending on what you named your files originally, the prefix option might be all you need.

Best thing is sending it to a new folder, so you can make mistakes, delete, and try again. best way to learn in my experience.

Jake Drews

Thanks, that will work perfect.  Specifically what I learned was that you could double click the "Save To" file name, and just rename it that way.  However, the Search/Replace feature will be very helpful in the future - I can try to name my files in such a way that would allow me to use the search/replace.

Thanks again. (Video does say it all)

Jerry Steiger

Jake,

I would probably use Pack and Go, as Bjorn suggested, but you might also look into using SolidWorks Explorer. I'm pretty sure that it can do everything you are wanting to do, and you don't have to move your files to a new directory.

Jerry Steiger

Glenn Schroeder

Jake,

If moving the files to a new folder works OK, then Pack and Go is the way to go.  And if you just want to re-name individual files without losing references then Jerry certainly gave you good advice (he doesn't give any other kind) about using SW Explorer.  I just want to point out another option.  If you want to re-name individual files without opening SW Explorer, you can do it from Windows Explorer.  RMB on the file name and choose SolidWorks > Re-name.  That will open a dialog box where you can change the name of the file and it will update references.