25 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2016 2:08 AM by Itamar Eshel

Is it possible to split a surface ?

Pet Peever

Hi,

Instead of triming a surface, is there a way to get the 2 pieces of a surface, intersected by another object (surface or curve), which could split it into 2 pieces ?

Example : I have a whole surface.

I want to load it, for a mecchanical simulation.

How can I dicriminate the surface to load ?

• Re: Is it possible to split a surface ?
          Kelvin Lamport

A surface can be split with a referrence plane or projected sketch using the Trim Tool.

http://help.solidworks.com/2012/English/solidworks/sldworks/aha1317932474524.htm

Andrew Thompson

Depending on the type of split used, you can use a sketch or plane with insert>curve>split line.

Cheers.

Jerry Steiger

Philippe,

For splitting a surface to apply a load to one part of the surface, use the Split Line, like Andrew suggested.

To actually make two different surfaces from one surface, then you would need to use Offset Surface, with an offset of 0. You can offset the original surface and then trim the two surfaces, keeping different sections. Or, you can split the surface and then offset surfaces from the two resulting faces.

Jerry Steiger

Pet Peever

I am trying to do something which seems obvious, but is not :

I have a surface0, a plane 1 : so I click upon the surface0 and the plane1.

The surface0 enters in the trim box.

Not the plane1.

Surely some parameter to fit some where to get the result ?

Instead of releasing new features for 2013, I suggest that the SW team begins to fix such really boring misbehaviours.

Kelvin Lamport

With the Trim tool, all you need to select is the cutting plane. Why is that so difficult?

Trim Tool.jpg

Alin Vargatu

Kelvin, I guess Pet has a point here. If he pre-selects a plane and a surface and starts the Trim command, he would expect to have the plane as the trimming tool and the surface as the scope of the command.

I would expect the same.

At this time (2012) the first entity selected will be the trim tool.

Kelvin Lamport

But with the Trim tool you don't need to select the surface to be trmmed. As my image above shows, there could be multiple surfaces to be trimmed. The scope is determined by the Keep/Remove selections after the Trim Tool is specified.

Pre-selecting the surface to be trimmed doesn't tell SW which portion to keep. One quick look at the Trim Manager should make that obvious.

Alin Vargatu

You have a point here, Kelvin.

Kelvin Lamport

Consider also, what would (or wouldn't) happen if multiple planes & surfaces were pre-selected? Would it be a bug because SW did not read the OP's mind and select the intended "correct" combination.

With any software, the user has to understand how that software was created to work, and not simply expect it to work the way they think it should work.

Alin Vargatu

Right you are.

That being said, at this time, if multiple entities are pre-selected, the one selected first will populate the Trim Tool field.

Glenn Schroeder

Kelvin Lamport wrote:

With any software, the user has to understand how that software was created to work, and not simply expect it to work the way they think it should work.

That was very well said.  I believe that many of our fellow SW users frustration level would be greatly diminished if they could understand and accept that simple sentence.

Jerry Steiger

Glenn,

I agree with you (and Kelvin) completely. On the other hand, one of the nice things about SolidWorks, or other good software, is how much effort they put into making the software work like typical users expect it to work. I think one of the difficulties that Philippe (Pet Peever) has it that he is not coming from a mechanical engineering background. His mathematics background, though, is probably stronger than your typical mechanical designer's.

Jerry Steiger

Bjorn Hulman

I agree, whenever using a new tool it is easy to criticise it for not working the way one might have imagined. Only through experience and using the tool in more complex situations can you begin to appreciate the intent designed into the tools function. Unfortunately people don't bother getting to the stage of understanding a bigger picture.

Learning how a tool works isn't just a learn and go situation. As you learn new functions it's likely the way you model will change to take advantage. If you take the time to understand rather than complain you'll find you improve a lot quicker.

Alin Vargatu

While I agree that you will be more productive by learning how to use your tool, keep in mind the SolidWorks welcomes any enhancement request from its users, Pet included.

I remember at the last SWW when the CEO stated that SolidWorks has never intended to force users to design a certain way, but to make SolidWorks work as per its users wishes. And, in my opinion, they have been doing that from the beginning and even more so in the last releases.

Speaking as a user, a large percentage of the ERs I submitted or voted on the last 3 years have been implemented or will be implemented in the next release.

The only thing Pet might want to do is to just ask a question first, without attacking SolidWorks in the first post of each thread. I noticed that he gets solutions for the majority of his "problems" in the following posts and that shows that it was not SolidWorks's fault but Pet's lack of knowledge and experience. It makes him look bad by rushing to place blame without having all the answers first.

That being said, if you can filter his frustration out, you will notice that sometimes he is introducing interesting points of view. He proposes interesting workflows. "Why not?" For this reason alone, I am looking forward to more questions from Pet. Makes me think differently about established SolidWorks techniques. Why not?

Bjorn Hulman

I always appreciate there being more than one way to skin a cat. Some cats just can't be skinned in the same fashion as the last one, even when you thought they looked the same. But word 'enhancement' means improving upon, inherently meaning you have some knowledge/skill in the area beforehand.

I agree though that workflows can always be improved upon, and that the way a beginner attempts to use any tool could be read as being an intuitive attempt.

That said, I think someone should understand the workflow, and it's full intent, before they request it be enhanced. I'm sure SW is constructive in their assessment of these requests. I think SW has improved greatly over the past few years.

Timothy James

Kelvin,

If my intention is to split a single surface body into 2 surface bodies,  I have only  found one way to do this:

1. Create a copy of the polyface surface body
                                              2. Trim one side of the first copy
                                              3. Trim the other side of the second copy

Why can't I split the surface body and keep both sides?  I can use the split feature to split a solid body in a single command.  I can use the split line tool to create new faces, however they still belong to the same body.   Am I missing something?

TIA for your help.

-Tim

Split Body Example.jpg

Carl George

Hello Pete,

I think the answer to your question is to use the Tools/Curve/Split Line.  You basically project a line (or lines) onto the surface you wish to split.  You'll work it out.

I use this often to create multiple bodies utilising a common surface.  Previously, I was using the method Tim mentions above.

I hope that helps you.

Tod Mailler

Amasing how such a simple question can be misinterpreted by so many fully qualified people.

Sorry Carl but the solution you propose is just a repetition of what was proposed before which doesn't adress the initial issue.

Pet: Surprizingly, Solidworks doesn't offer the "Split Surface" functinoality that follows the same functional logic as the "Split Solid" feature.

You cannot simply split a surface so to get two seperated surfaces. You can get two faces from a surface containing only one surface but it will not generate two seperated surfaces that would be listed under the "Surface Bodies" component tree branch.

I guess Solidworks ppl think that we can work with faces just like we work with surfaces.

The only hack is to copy the surface and "Trim" them with the same tool while deleting alternatively both sections. You'll then have to put one of them where its twin was before the entire operation.... Rediculous, i know !

I would be very curious to know which logic dictates the absence of such a trivial and obvious feature.

Christian Chu

Easy way for me is to create  a ref. plane and use split tool as mentioned in this thread by some experts

Michael Jones

Hi Christian,

Yeah, it seems to work ok with a reference plane, but the cut I need is non-linear.  The only solution I can find so far is to create a surface extrude which intersects the surface to trim.  Then trim.  Though I can't seem to fully trim away the "intersecting" extrude, but by hiding it, does not seem to affect my final outcome.  I just thought there would be a more direct approach.  Here is my work around, but very crude it seems.  2016-09-14 14_49_44-SOLIDWORKS Premium 2015 x64 Edition - [fin.SLDPRT _].jpg

Itamar Eshel

the split line command alone doesn't split the surface into 2 different surfaces, it just splits the face.

but you can use the split line command and then use offset surface (with 0 mm offset) on both faces of the surface (one at a time) to create 2 different surfaces.