5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2012 10:38 AM by Brian Nichols

Is there any way/workaround for locking layers?

Magnus Hammar

Now and then I get DWG-drawings where I need to add some lines and small 2D blocks. As I want to set dimensions relative to existing geometry, I need to lock the existing (imported) geometry. In the layers dialog I can control visibility, and to my surprise there is no way to lock layers.

Any suggestions for a workaround is appreciated.

/Magnus

Capture.PNG

• Re: Is there any way/workaround for locking layers?
          Mathieu Ouellet

If I understand what you want to do:

Prevent the imported geometry from changing.

try selecting the geometry and then select the anchor to fix the entities.

select and fix.png

Brian Nichols

We use a custom MAP File for models and drawings when saving out DXF/DWG Files.

You can go into your layer Properties and create a Locked Layer and change the Color, Linetype or what ever else you want. Then whenever you create something that needs to be locked you can set it to that locked layer and anchor it then when you export it to another software like Draftsight. It will export with it locked on the Locked Layer as long as your DXF/DWG Map file is setup correctly.

Just throwing this out there!!!!

Since Draftsight is free and you may need full layer control before sending a drawing to a customer you can download Draftsight and have full layer control from there. It's a very nice program.

Hope this helps

Peter De Vlieger

Brian,

I for one know how to change the color, linetype and thickness of the line by going into the layer properties but I, as Magnus Hammer, can't see any "lock" layer functionality.

Now it's friday,it's been a long week, and it could just be me but it comes across that you say that you create a locked layer by creating a locked layer. Could you or someone else explain it in a bit more detail how exactly one creates a layer that is locked? Or did you mean that one just put those entities on a particular layer and anchor them, therefor when exported they are all on that particular layer so that you can then actual lock the layer in the 2d package of your choice?

PS: to kick in open doors, just to make sure we're all on the same page, a locked layer is a layer where the entities on it can't be moved or altered in anyway without removing the "locked" state of it

Brian Nichols

Peter,

There is not a way to lock the layers right now. I was simply trying to provide the way I workaround this situation. With the workaround I suggested you can at least have a layer named "locked" and draw your items and blocks on that layer. Then when you export the drawing or save it this makes it easier to lock the items since thay are on a separate layer in Draftsight lets say. This also keeps them separate from other items and layers in your SLDDRW drawings. So you or someone doesn't accidently move them.  

"Or did you mean that one just put those entities on a particular layer and anchor them, therefor when exported they are all on that particular layer so that you can then actual lock the layer in the 2d package of your choice? "

This is correct this is was just a workaround suggestion for now  but I think many people would like to see locked layers as a Enhancement Request for future releases.

The other thing I did was create a Template that already has the layers I want on it, then saved it so it's already there I just have to anchor the Items I want anchored. (Locked)

I hope this explanation helps

Mark Kaiser

Are you just naming a layer 'locked'?  That doesn't help the OP.

I don't think there's a way to do it.  You could semi-lock layers by creating blocks of sketch entities.  You could move these to the sheet format, making them a bit harder to get to.