10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2012 9:22 AM by Jeff Sweeney

Custom Part numbering scheme

Vaibhav Soni

Hi all:

We have a part numbering scheme at 03xxxx-xx Rev00...05 for all the previous models. I tried this link:http://extensiblecad.com/words/2008/07/09/pdmwe-number-generator-part-deaux/ for custom part numbering scheme but does not work out.

Could someone please guide me in this.

thanks,

• Re: Custom Part numbering scheme
          Ravi Teja

Vaibhav,

what problem are you facing in implemeting it without customization?

Regards

Ravi T

Vaibhav Soni

Hi Ravi:

When I pass the file through the workflow (Concept->Approval Required ->Approved->ECO ->Approval Required -> Approved), I want the file name to have the revision number along with it. For instance 030001-00 should become 030001-01 once it's approved. This is not working in default settings. I need to have some customization for this one. My SWR informed me that I need to write an Add-in for this one.

Could you possibly help me or guide me in this.

thanks,

Vaibhav

Tim Read

I'm not sure it is a wise thing to rename files in the vault based on revision but you can do this just using dispatch.

Trigger your Dispatch script after the Transition that increments the revision and have it rename the file(s).

I urge you to test this completely before putting it into a production environment.

See: https://forum.solidworks.com/message/210360#210360 to get you started...

Tim Webb

I strongly recommend and urge EPDM admins to use the data card for the REV instead.

There is wisdom in not having the REV in the filename especially if the REV bumps to the next revision. Including the REV in the filename becomes a document management nightmare.

Here's my brief example:

We used to add the REV to STEP files when the STEP were shared to a vendor folder in EPDM where the vendor accessed them from the web client and the vendor can download the STEP files to do their CNC programming.

Up until recently this worked well except an unforeseen issue. Our engineering department has numerous Revisions on prototype parts, so we have begun seeing issues with files that were shared to the vendor when released at REV A are no longer getting updated to REV B automatically which causes problems with the vendors cutting the wrong REV of parts. Plus, someone has to know to go and share the REV B to the vendor folder but nobody knew to do that.

My response to this is to remove the REV from the filename and engneering will be using the same STEP file, updating it to the next REV, and the files only have to be shared once.

Once you have the REV in the filename, the file is no longer live data as it is updated through the workflow.

My two cents.

Tim

Vaibhav Soni

Thank you all for your suggestions. We are not planning to have a web client for our vendors. As of now our workflow is working on a complicated assembly in which only a few parts are modified or so as to say REVISED with ECO. So the part file once gets approved and revised, then only the drawing are made to be given to vendors for manufacturing.

Also since we have Rev. for parts and Rev. for drawings, it is now getting complicated for me to figure out how to track the revisions for the part and revision for the drawing without having the Revs.

There is a lot of thread i went across to find a correct solution but I am not able to understand how to implement it. Presently we have Rev. for Part number and a separate revison for drawing number. For instance part 0320509-00 has drawing number 0320509-00 _Rev00

Now the part is modified. Since it is backwards compatible the part number stays same. right??

The part no would be 0320509-01 and it would have drawing number 0320509-01_Rev00...0320509-01_Rev01 and so on..

Any comments how to automize this process in EPDM?

Vaibhav Soni

Also there is a revison for part and a revision for drawing. The e-PDM as I found it while testing today revises the part and drawing both, which is incorrect.

If the part has number 043230 with revision as 01, its drawing shows same. But if the drawing is modified, the part also shows the new revision number which is in-correct.

Ravi Teja

Vaibhav,

Few things,Drawing and part revision control problem is due to your Workflow setup , because your drawing and parts are going through same transition.

Like tim suggested having revision in filename is not a good idea.

Now coming to solution,you can rename files after approval using dipatch.

All you need to have is the serial number and Revision on file's Data Card.

tell me what are the variable name for serial and revisions on data card.

you can also go through other threads about how to make a dipatch script.

Regards

RaviT

Vaibhav Soni

Hi Ravi:

Thanks for replying. You are perfectly right about the workflow. But is it possible to have different workflow for CAD file and Drawing files??

This is our current workflow. Its very basic as such:

workflow.png

What do you suggest should be the workflow for the drawings so I can distinguish between revision for the part and revision number of drawing to be two different entities. I do not know how others do it but I have heard from many people that it is always good to have revision number of part and drawing to be different. But e-PDM does not differentiates between these revision numbers (or may be I don't know how to do this)

I do have serial number and revision number for my data card which kind of looks like this:workflow.png

Also I found the dispatch link on another thread and it works out fine for renaming the files. But i am still confused about these revision numbers..