2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2012 1:30 PM by Gian Arias

Problem fuel tank (Pressure measurement)

Gian Arias

Dear Users,

Excuse my English, I really do not master the language much

I have been using SolidWorks simulation since past few months and have mostly done Static analysis, so i am still an amatuer. It is hence i would like to get your help in a problem that i am facing.

Description:

We have a fuel tank 2 mm thick has the same material ASTM A 36, is to simulate the pressure that holds it, and it became a prototype and holds between 10-15 PSI, but when I simulate it indicates that material is fractured and deformed it, the problem is that we have to send the report to the client with the simulation.

Therefore I require your help to make this simulation

Attached pictures of the actual tank simulation and CAD, if you also have a suggestion to shorten the simulation time and it takes a lot between simulation

• Re: Problem fuel tank (Pressure measurement)
          Bill McEachern

the image was just the sides - if htat is all that is in the analysis then the boundaries are too stiff. A quater symetry model migh be better with all of the containers bits in it. You probably need to run and "inplane" effects and or large displacement effects to cature the proper stiffness if hte container walls are say 2x the max deflection shown or less. I would also use shell elements, not solids - its hard to tell from the image what is being used - but newbies often use solids as that is the default. The shell elements would likely speed up the sove time to a short number of minutes.

• Re: Problem fuel tank (Pressure measurement)
              Gian Arias

Thanks for responding

In Reality simplify the model, because as you see in the other image, the piece contains stamping and use the shell as an element in the stiffness you talk, place fixed external edges.

In Reality simplify the model, because as you see in the other image, the piece contains sausage and use the shell as an element in the stiffness you talk, place fixed external edges.

The problem is that in reality does not deform the workpiece and hold pressure of 10 psi.

As for running "inplane" effects and or large displacement effects to cature the proper stiffness if hte container walls are 2x the max deflection say Shown or less. I get error because I can not activate the large displacement

Error:
              The stiffening effect of stress does not support the option large displacements.