4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2012 8:27 AM by Jim Sculley

Enterprise Admin Class?

Robert Altman

I have been looking to take an Enterprise Administration class for the last year now but our local reseller has not had anything scheduled. They have offered to come in and show me a few things but I would prefer a full complete class. Is anyone aware of ANY locations offering the admin class.

Thanks in advance.

Robert

• Re: Enterprise Admin Class?
          Tim Read

Hi Robert,

Have you been using / administering EPDM for the last year? Have you been reading the help pages when you get stuck?

If so then I would suggest saving your money. I took the Administrator class last year after using / preparing to install for 6 months. I can list the things I learned in the class on one hand. And those were questions answered by the instructor that were not part of the course.

Just my 2cents...

Tim

Robert Altman

I have 15 years of PTC/Intralink experience so I have been applying the same principles to Enterprise but I assume there are somethings I'm just not aware of.

Example: Would like to setup a additional vault for testing but I'm hesatant to just wing it as I could make a mistake that would affect our Production vault.

Tim Read

I understand where you are coming from... I have 5 years using Pro/PDM, then implementing Pro/Intralink administering and using that for 7 years before implementing DBWorks and using that for 2 years and now implementing EPDM and administring it for about a year now.....

However, the Administrator course did not provide the information required to be able to 'wing it'. You need to have that test vault because of how all the pieces work together.... An understanding of that is not something that comes from the course.

The course teaches how to use the commands in the interface of the Admin tool - hence "Adminstration Course" - it did not teach how the parts add to a whole.

Jim Sculley

Robert Altman wrote:

I have 15 years of PTC/Intralink experience so I have been applying the same principles to Enterprise but I assume there are somethings I'm just not aware of.

Example: Would like to setup a additional vault for testing but I'm hesatant to just wing it as I could make a mistake that would affect our Production vault.

FYI:  Solution ID S-017826 in the SolidWorks knowledge base outlines how to do this.

Jim S.