1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 17, 2012 7:28 AM by Chris Michalski

Flow Analysis

Bulelani Mgoqi

Hi everyone

Can anyone assist me on flow analysis. I have designed a wet sump for a racing car. I created baffle plates so that the oil cannot move freely on the sump pan. This free movement cause the oil pickup to take in air instead of oil during the cornering and braking. Creating the baffle plate cause a disturbance on oil not to move freely on the sump pan. Therefore I want to analyse that these baffle plates which I have created do prevent oil pick up from taking in air instead of oil during cornering and braking of the car. Can you please help find the possilble  way of doing this on solidworks. I did the flow expression tutorial but didnt seem to help on what I want.

Patrick

• Re: Flow Analysis
          Chris Michalski

Solidworks Flow Simulation does not work with moving boundaries between phases (gases and liquids).  It will not determine how the oil moves in cornering because there is air above it.

Your only chance might be to create a liquid with much lower density and viscosity to act like air.  Then when you apply "gravity" in the direction of the centripetal force it should determine the separation of oil and "air".