8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2012 3:23 PM by Lenny Bucholz

Screw cap

Shawn Hawkins

I am wanting to design a tube that is milled to accept a threaded cap that when together the two tubes are flush. Is there a way to tell solidworks that the surface I have selected needs to be threaded and it should thread into the other tube? This feature is in Inventor, I just wondered if Solidworks has it?

• Re: Screw cap
          Lenny Bucholz

No there is not. Have to do it just as a machinist would using the machinery handbook.

But I don't think there is that simple a feature in Invetor, to many things to input Major Dia of the thread, Minor Dia of the thread what size tube, wall thickness, will the pitch of the thread blow thru the wall.

Shawn Hawkins

Would I mention it in the manufacturing notes? How does that work when I take the design to the machinist?

Shawn Hawkins

Actually I chose your answer too fast. Inventor DOES have thread notation built in and it graphically shows the thread. It doesn't draw each tooth but it assigns a material that looks like a thread and it displays the thread data when you dimention the drawing and I believe that it calculates all of that in the i-mate when using the part in a assembly.

Why can't solid works do that?

Lenny Bucholz

Shawn,

again what you asked for is making the 2 tubes flush when screwed together, correct?

you need to model the threads because if you don't you may callout the wrong threads per inch that would blow thru the wall of the tube you pic. there is quite a bit to figure out, major\minor of the thread to what material is left for the male and female thread depth.

just putting a cosmedic thread texture and TPI doesn't give the machist enough info to make it without asking youa lot of questions and they will charge you more because they are now designing it for you.

how do I know this? Prototype machinist 25 yrs and in product development helping engineers and designers use SW to give beter models to reduce cost and lead times.

If you put it in the machinist hands and they give it back to you and you don't like it you still have to pay them because you told them to just make it.

Jerry Steiger

Shawn,

Do you actually need to model the threads or can you just call out what you want on the drawing? Actual threads are resource hogs in SolidWorks and should only be made if you really need them. Otherwise, I just make the parts with the diameters that the maker of the parts needs to put the threads on/in.

Jerry Steiger