2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2012 1:44 PM by Richard Wehmeyer

How do you customize SolidWorks?

Julie Napolitan

Do you customize the SolidWorks UI to increase productivity?  We'd like to collect some information on how our users customize the UI.  This is purely a research project, but we also welcome suggestions for improving the customization process.

How do you arrange toolbars and customize the interface to increase productivity?  Do you use mouse gestures, keyboard shortcuts, the S key?  Do you only populate the CommandManager with commands you use frequently?

If possible, please send your SolidWorks settings file to julie.napolitan@3ds.com.

(extension .sldreg; see below for further instructions on how to access this file).

If you have time to include a brief summary of how you use SolidWorks that information would be appreciated!

How many hours per week do you use SolidWorks?

What types of parts do you mainly work on--part, assemblies, drawings?

What type of modeling do you mainly do--sheetmetal, surfacing, prismatic parts?

You can extract your SW settings using the Copy Settings Wizard:

copysettingswizazard.png

csettings2.png

csettings3.png

• Re: How do you customize SolidWorks?
          Richard Wehmeyer

I have a set of buttons that I use frequently, and due to a good amount of screen real estate, I can have 90% of my buttons within 1 click by not using the Command Manager.  Microsoft Offices use of the ribbon was good but it locked us out of customization.  I am glad Solidworks leaves us that customization. 

I do wish that the toolbars did not interfere with each other between Drawings Assemblies and Parts.  It made location planning a little tricky. 

I wish that the toolbar would follow me to my second monitor when using multi-monitor setup.  Working with an assembly on the left, and a part on the right I find it dificult to have to move to my left screen to access my commands when working on the right.

Toolbar.png

• Re: How do you customize SolidWorks?
            Richard Wehmeyer

I use Solidworks 20-30 hrs per week.  I use Simulation, Weldment, Toolbox, PhotoView, and Routing regularly.