7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2012 12:57 PM by perry leets

dimensions in blocks

perry leets

I have a sketch that needs to appear fairly often in my SW drawings so it seemed to be a good candidate for a block. This sketch however has quite a few dimensions on it and that becomes a problem. It seems that when saving a block, SW ignores all the dimensions. Lame behavior that renders the function pretty useless. Is there some kind of work around where I get create a block which retains the sketch dimensions?

thanks

• Re: dimensions in blocks
          Jeremy Feist

as long as the dimensions are from/to items that are inluded in the block the dimensions are included.

there is a checkbox in the property manager for the blocks that toggles the display of the dimensions.

perry leets

My show dimensions checkbox is pretty much always on, but thats not the problem. The dimensions simply are not being saved with the block. When I click the "make block" button I'm prompted to select entities. I window the items I want in the block. In the resulting list that is displayed by the make block command it lists lines, arcs, etc., but NO dimensions. Even if I singularly pick a dimension the make block function ignores it.

Glenn Schroeder

I get the dimensions also.  In the sample below I created the sketch at the top left, dimensioned it, and made a block.  Inserted the three on the right from the block in the top of the tree.  I then RMB'ed on the block and saved it as an external file and inserted it at the lower left.  All dimensions came along just fine.

sketch block.png

perry leets

I believe I found the problem.

This "sketch" was brought into the SW drawing from an Acad dxf. All the entities were placed inside a new view. When selecting entities inside a view, dimensions are ignored. BUT if I create some "pure" sketch items, including dimensions, outside of a view, THEN I can make a block with them that includes the dimensions.

The bummer is, I would have to redraw all of that Acad drawing as a "pure" sketch in an SW drawing (not in a view) in order to block it. That will be a lot of work, not sure if its worth it. It would be nice if I could import a dxf/dwg and have all the entities be put into a sketch that is NOT part of a view.

Jeremy Feist

and if the dimensions you want are part of the import, they may not be recognized the same way as a SW dim would be.

one option that might work - import the DFX/DWG into a part and make the block there.

perry leets

I think thats probably the root cause Jeremy. When I select the imported dimension in an SW drawing, the dimension property manager comes up as expected so I thought everything was fine. But if I double click the dimension SW tells me that the dimension is "external" and cannot be changed. That means I'm stuck with re-drawing the whole thing in SW

maybe another day, I had hoped that just "opening" the acad drawing would work out, but ran into some issues there (noted in my other post today)

thanks