4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2012 5:31 PM by Joe Galliera

Fluid Model

Abhishek Madras

Hi

My name is Abhishek Madras and Im a final year engineering student at the University of Sydney. Im trying to do CFD analysis on the human aorta using Ansys Workbench cfx. For CFX analysis both solid and fluid models are required for accurate flow visualization.The thing is I got the solid model from solidworks but I dont know how to generate the fluid model. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Abhishek

• Re: Fluid Model
          Charles Culp

Abhishek,

In the top right of this webpage is "Actions" where you can move this thread to the Flow Simulation area. you might get a better response there.

Jerry Steiger

Abhishek,

In case you don't get the expected response from the Flow Simulation area, I thought I would give you a couple of suggestions. The classical way to do this would be to use the Cavity feature in the Assembly. Make a fluid part that is larger than the volume you need to model. Use the Cavity feature to subtract the solid model from the volume. You can throw away the piece or pieces that lie outside of your solid model.

Another technique is to Knit or Offset (with an offset of 0) Surfaces from the inside of your solid model. Once you have a complete water-tight surface, you can Thicken it to make a solid body for your analysis.

Jerry Steiger

Joe Galliera

I second Jerry's recommendation to create a cavity feature in a larger part.  Then you can open up the Solid Bodies folder (now that you will have more than one body assuming the original part is water tight) and right-click the body which is on the outside to add the Delete Body feature.

Joe Galliera

Abhishek: the zip file you provided only contains the assembly file, you also need to provide the associated part files.  Perform a pack-and-go to grab everything to put into the zip file.

Also since you are a student, your SolidWorks Student edition includes the Flow Simulation software where you could run your problem.  Creating the fluid volume is a snap because the software does it for you from the solid model of the aorta.  All you need to do is make sure that you make the solid model water tight by creating some simple boss extrudes and you are all set to go with the flow analysis.