5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2012 11:10 AM by Anna Wood

Home Liscence on external drive

robert dattilo

Hello;

Has anyone ever tried to put a home liscense on an external drive? I ask, because if computers get screwd up, & you have to reload your

operating system, etc., if it was possible for SW to be on an external drive, it would't be affected by the stuff your computer goes through.

Maybe this wouldn't work, or maybe it's a bad idea for some reason; wondering if anyone has any input.

Thanks, in advance

Rob_D SW 2012

• Re: Home Liscence on external drive
          Anna Wood

Not how it works.  When you activate SolidWorks it is creating an ID of your computer based on several hardware components.

It is not a problem to deactivate an install of SolidWorks if you have a hardware crash.  Just call your VAR and they can help you out with deactivation.

Cheers,

Anna

robert dattilo

Hello;

Ok, thanks; I've obtained a serial number form the VAR,& intend to download it directly to a workstation. I understand i can download it from a cd, or from the customer portal, but it's sounds like if you want to upgrade with service packs later, you need to go the route of the cd which i'd have to wait to do. Also if you load it directly to the computer from the portal is there a way to burn a backup onto a cd?

Thanks for any input;

Rob_D SW 2012 Sp4

Anna Wood

I am pretty sure for SW2009 you do not need the DVD to install SolidWorks.  For sure this is the case for newer version of SW.  You can download the entire install DVD from the SolidWorks Customer Portal, to disk, with the SolidWorks Installation Manager.  This is one of the options in the IM when you do an install.  "Download the Entire DVD Only, Do Not Install"

No need to wait for DVD's to be delivered if you have a serial number.

I never burn a DVD.  Just install straight from where I have downloaded the files to on our network servers.

Cheers,

Anna