4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2012 7:44 AM by Tim Read

Getting Legacy Data Assigned to Correct Data Card

Kevin Stickels

I am currently bringing files into EPDM from multiple sources (Pro-E, pdf, cdr, doc(x), etc.). I originally created data cards for CAD and DOC but, a large portion of the legacy drawings are scanned images in pdf format. This makes things interesting because pdf's are also used for specifications, documents, etc. It seems to be an either/ or scenario getting the particular documents assigned ot the correct data card. Right now, I am manually pulling in files to test data cards and workflows before we go live. Has anyone else out there run into this situation and/or does anyone have suggestions how to proceed? I need the drawing pdfs to go to the CAD card and the doc pdfs to go to the doc card (or spec card, or MSDS card). If I can "skin this cat" I can get the files into the correct workflows.

Thanks,  

• Re: Getting Legacy Data Assigned to Correct Data Card
          Ravi Teja

Hi Kevin,

You cannot have different Data cards for same file type present in a same folder.You can make diifferent data cards for PDFs and save them in different folders.

save DataCard for PDFs in Folder "A" and another Data Card For PDFs in Folder "B".Now PDFs saved in Folder A willl take Data card which was saved in Folder A.

Regards

Ravi T

Kevin Stickels

Looks like I may have to break up drawing files into different folders within a project. That is going to complicate matters somewhat. Now, if the files are in Pro-E, AutoCAD, or SW they will reside in a CAD folder but, if the drawings are legacy scanned pdf files, they will have to reside in another folder within the project. (e.g. Scanned Drawings) then another folder for Specifications and other documents. I will think upon this a bit.Thanks...

Michael Dekoning

Ravi is correct. However, you can show different information on the card depending on the type of file, i.e. CAD or DOC. Create a variable called "PDF Type" or something like that. Add a Tab control to your PDF card. In the Tab properties add the Tab names "CAD and "DOC" and choose "Controlled by variable" and select the variable you created. On each of the tabs place the controls you'd like to see for each type. Add an edit box outside the Tab control tied to the variable as well. If you type "CAD" in the edit box only the CAD controls will appear. Enter "DOC" and the other controls will appear. See "Working with Controlled Tabs" in the Admin guide.

Now the fun part is getting the "PDF Type" information into your files. Add an edit box control to your folder card. For each type of files, check them out, enter the type in the folder card, right click on the folder and choose "Update values in files...". Follow the steps in the wizard and then check the files in.

Tim Read

Hi Kevin,

I suggest that you follow Michael's suggestion and I would add that there are many ways to get the "PDF Type" variable set to what you want.

1. Manual - you can set it even before the first checkin on each files datacard.

2a. Semi-automatic - write a short Dispatch script that sets the variable to "CAD" and another that sets it to "DOC" - set it as a menu command. After you add the pdfs to the vault select the 'CAD' or 'DOC' ones and run the Dispatch script to set the variable to what you require.

2b. Semi-automatic - have an 'Initial' state in your workflow for pdf import then have two manual transistions to set the 'PDF Type' variable and Link to the correct Workflow. After checkin transistion the files manually using the 'Change State' menu.

3a. Automatic - write a Dispatch script that can recognise whether the pdf is 'CAD' or 'DOC' based on it's filename / folder in the vault and set the variable appropriately - trigger after add.

3b. Automatic - have an 'Initial' state in your workflow for pdf import then have two automatic transistions that operate based on the path/filename to set the 'PDF Type' variable and Link to the correct Workflow.

There are more ways but it will always be up to you as to which method will work best in your situation.