8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2014 11:19 AM by Brian Drifka

EPDM Search Result Anomalies

Aaron Kleyla

EPDM_Search_Results.JPG

Greetings,

Above is an image of a search performed in PDM 2012 SP4.  All variables are blank expect for our US Family field.  The results from this search are returned files, pdfs in this case, that do not have the selected value assigned to them.  As you can see from the data card in the lower 3rd of the image, it shows the proper family being applied.  If I look at the file in the windows explorer folder structure, the proper family is applied as well.  So it would seem that, for what ever reason, the search returned a select few files it should not have.

The two values in this case are below;

CG1 - Round Body Cylinder - CG1                            (This value returned a few files with the value below applied) 

MGP/MGJ - Compact Guide Cylinder - MGP/MGJ     (This is the true value on the files)

These files are in our Approval process, have only this revision, and have had the same value applied since being introduced into the system.

Here is my question...  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Aaron K

• Re: EPDM Search Result Anomalies
          Aaron Kleyla

Well, I believe I have answered my own question after a few test runs.  Having looked into the history of the documents in question, I noticed several versions have been created.  I introduced a new file and applied the incorrect family.  Once checked in, I applied the proper family and committed a second check in.  I now have three versions, one for the Initiated and one for each check in. 

I applied a Found In Version and Latest Version to my search results window.  The file returned with the improper family, had a value of 2 for the Found In Version and a value of 3 for Latest Version. 

So apparently the search tool searches history which is Great except for when your users expect the latest and greatest to be returned by default.  I understand that the file is the same no matter the Version but explaining that concept might be a challenge.   

Thanks,

Aaron K