AnsweredAssumed Answered

How to break the link between two configured components in different assemblies when using Save As Copy

Question asked by Aj Jones on Aug 7, 2012
Latest reply on Aug 7, 2012 by Aj Jones

I was wondering if there is a way to break the link between two configured components in different assemblies.  Here is was I've done

I saved an assembly with configurable parts as a read only file called "Assem1"

Next I created a new assembly and inserted the read only file "Assem1" and saved this as "Assem2"

Next I opened "Assem2" and did a Save Copy As... and named it "Assem 3"

Now everytime I edit the configured part "Assem1"  in "Assem 3" even though the original is a read only, it updates the "Assem1" parts in "Assem2" 

If I do a save as copy with the item being configured in an assembly it doesn't link to the other file it was copied from.  If I have a configured part that is in an assembly within an assembly then it updates the one is was copied from when I configure a component.

Is there a way to break this link so they don't update each other?  I have an assembly with a BODY.sldasm inserted inot it that has configured doors in the body assembly.  I did a save as copy of the assembly and now if I configure the doors in the new assembly, the one I copied it from also gets updated, which I don't want to happen.

Thanks

Outcomes