5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2012 8:58 AM by Mike Ramsey

Blocking transitions by group and file path?

Mike Ramsey

Is there a way, short of a seperate workflow to block users by group from making a transition in certain folders? I had a user at a different site move over 100 files that he didn't have design control over and rev them. I'd like to prevent this from happening again.

• Re: Blocking transitions by group and file path?
          Jacob Kralovic

Mike,

What may work for you is to create a second transition that does the action you want, that only your trouble-making group of users have access to.

In this transition, specify a New Condition and select Filepath from the Type dropdown.

Then, under Argument, specify the folder you don't want them messing with by using the !=  (Not equal to) function, for example:

!=%\Engineering Folder\%

With this set, they will not be able to do that transition if the file is in that folder, and you can control the access to the transition via groups.

Hope that helps,

- Jacob

Mike Ramsey

I was afraid of that. I was hoping I could use an arguement on the transition I already have in place because I've got 4 sites and would have to do this for each one on several different transitions. Sounds like the easiest thing would be to create a new workflow for them.

Tim Read

Hi Mike,

Not a new workflow for each site, just a new transition for each site. (I think this is what Jacob was trying to explain).

Each Transition could have exactly the same name.

The Rights set for the Groups will control which Transition is used per Site.

The Conditions set for the Folder Path will control whether or not the Transition will execute.

Jacob Kralovic

That's correct Tim,

You can create as many transitions as you need going from one state to another.

This allows you to have different settings, actions, add-ins, permissions, etc for specific users in each transition.

We had an ECO approval process mapped out like this, and it worked quite well.

Mike, you may be aware of this already, but I thought I should warn you; The only way to get files that are in your current workflow to a new workflow is via the "Workflow Link" state. This means that you will have to change the state on all the files in your vault to get them to a new workflow.

Without knowing your exact situation, I would recommend just modifying your current workflows rather than making new ones.