AnsweredAssumed Answered

New to SW. Weldments vs. Assemblies

Question asked by Tom Cipollone on Aug 2, 2012
Latest reply on Sep 7, 2012 by Roy Potter

Hi to the Solidworks Forum.

I have been trying to get my head around the differences between Assemblies and Weldments. Believe it or not I have not found a good discussion of this topic on the Web.

In simplistic terms, I believe that a Weldment is kind of an Assembly where the components will never be taken apart once they are put back together.

Also, with a Weldment, I imagine that it is assumed that a lot of one kind of component is used, which has the same profile, as opposed to an Assembly. This must be the thought behind being able to get a cut list.

Does a Weldment only consist of material that has a single profile? If new materials need to be added, does a new Weldment need to be made? And do these Weldments get mated in an assembly?

Where could I find a good discussion of the advantages and disadvantages of designing a Weldment vs. and Assembly? It is possible that such a question has really obvious answers to an experienced user but I am certainly not that.

For example, if I wanted to design a wooden structure, like a deck, for my back yard, I have seen recommendations from users that think that designing the deck as a weldment is a better, faster way than doing it as an assembly. And, like I said, a deck only is assembled once, and it uses a lot of the same type of material (2x4's) but not exclusively. What if my deck has 2x4s and 2x6's etc.?

Thank You

Tom

Outcomes