4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2012 2:25 PM by Jerry Steiger

Design study question

Jeff Hamilton

Isn't it possible to use a design study to define the size of a part based upon where you want the center of mass to be located?

Jeff Hamilton

Bristol Compressors

• Re: Design study question
          Kelly Chandler

Bump.  I'd like to know if it is possible to have the design study optimize on the product (A*B) of two mass properties (e.g. the center of mass and the mass) rather than just trying to do it on individual properties.

Kelly Chandler

I think I figured out a work around.  Just make an equation from the properties that you're interested in.  In my case, the center of mass y coordinate and the mass.  The design study still won't let you use that result as a goal but you can use it as a constraint.  Then set some variables that are related (center of mass y coord and mass) and ask the study to minimize or maximize (whatever).  Even if the study never finds a solution that satisfies the "constraint", you can paste the results into excel and sort to find the optimum.

Just as an aside to any Solidworks employees reading along, gee it would be nice to have the ability to optimize on the results of an equation!

Jerry Steiger

Jeff and Kelly,

I am guessing that you are asking about Design Studies in SolidWorks Simulation. If so, the Jeff should probably move this discussion to that forum. You will be much more likely to get helpful answers there.

Jerry Steiger