2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2012 11:26 AM by Tom Cote

Copying a wf from test vault to production vault

Tom Cote

Hi folks,

I'm pretty sure that I know the answer to my question but figured I'd confirm my thoughts.  I've been asked to modify the engineering wf and given the changes.  There were many changes to the wf including changing the names of several states and transitions.  The modified wf has been tested and managment is happy (finally) with the process developed.  I'd like to export it from the test vault and import it into the production vault but have some questions:

1. Will EPDM overwrite the existing wf with the same name?

2. What will happen to the names of the states that are now changed to a new name?

Thanks for your input.

Tom

• Re: Copying a wf from test vault to production vault
          Jim Sculley

Tom Cote wrote:

Hi folks,

I'm pretty sure that I know the answer to my question but figured I'd confirm my thoughts.  I've been asked to modify the engineering wf and given the changes.  There were many changes to the wf including changing the names of several states and transitions.  The modified wf has been tested and managment is happy (finally) with the process developed.  I'd like to export it from the test vault and import it into the production vault but have some questions:

1. Will EPDM overwrite the existing wf with the same name?

No.  It will create a new workflow with the same name but with '(2)' appended to it.

2. What will happen to the names of the states that are now changed to a new name?

As far as EPDM is concerned this is a completely new workflow.  All the states and transitions will have different unique IDs internally.

There is an SPR (647969) requesting the ability to replace an existing workflow on import.

So, basically, you have to duplicate all the changes you made in your test vault in the real vault.  Or you have to abandon the old workflow by making sure no files will ever enter it and use the newly imported workflow from that point on.

If you choose to duplicate your changes, I have found that you can cut and paste transitions between workflows in different vaults.  I had a workflow in which I added several dozen transition actions, and the cut and paste method saved me a lot of time.

Jim S.