5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2006 2:04 PM by

How to dome a face

on 2006 18 13:25 Kenneth Maren wrote:
      > Also look up replace face as well. To control your dome with more accuracy create a domed
      > surface above the flat face of the M and use replace face. The dome command may not work
      > as well with a hard "M" shape.
      >

Agreed, the replace face is a great tool, nice catch Kenneth!
        • How to dome a face
          Also look up replace face as well. To control your dome with more accuracy create a domed surface above the flat face of the M and use replace face. The dome command may not work as well with a hard "M" shape.

Ken Maren
          Muderlak Design
          www.muderlakdesign.com
          • How to dome a face
            Eric,

These are "Features" so use the "Insert" drop down, then select "Feature" and you will see the Dome, Deform and other creatable features.

Best
            • How to dome a face
              Thanks all. The problem was that the functions did not show up at all on my menu. I found out later that I needed to go in and turn then on.

The replace face is a great idea.

Thanks,
              Eric
              • How to dome a face
                One other way I thought of doing this is to use "Flip Side to Cut" in the Cut Extrude Box. ( I still prefer the replace face method). Extrude a block the desired thickness, make your dome on the desired face of the block, then cut extrude the text and click the box flip side to cut. Like I said the replace face is still better because when you loft your own domed surface you get so much more control of the dome and replace face is a piece of cake.....

Ken Maren
                Muderlak Design
                www.muderlakdesign.com
                • How to dome a face
                  I am learning SW with the Personal Edition before purchasing.

I have a letter "M" that I have extruded with 20 degree draft and filletted the top edge. Now I want to modify the flat top surface slightly by "bulging" of doming the surface. If the face is 0.25" wide I want to add about 0.005" rise on the face to disrupt the perfectly flat surface.

I have read the help file and have found doming and deform. The problem is I can't find either function in my software. I believe that doming is on the features menu but I can't find it.

Any ideas on finding these two functions and any ideas on the "best" simple way to disrupt this surface?

Thanks,
                  Eric