3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2012 3:01 PM by Alexander Hermansson

[Student] Need help with a minor project

Alexander Hermansson

Hey there! I recently started using Solidoworks at my school and we got a homework over the summer vacation to build a computer desk.

Keep in mind that I'm a rookie so I'm quite bad .

Okey to the point... I'm currently stuck at a place and I've been trying to work it out for several hours without getting anywhere.

http://ss.files.yey.nu/Ej3aQHUs.png  okey so there it is nothing impressive really..

Okey so the problem is over here:

http://ss.files.yey.nu/gXEBSL0R.png

I can't get the hole in the tree "platform" to fit the hole in the iron pipe ..been trying to measure etc etc .. But I just can't get it to work.

So some help would be awsome.. I'm attatching all the files for download.

The tree platform is called "datorhållare" and the pipe "datorbenet" and  "realrealassemblu" is the assemly.

Thanks in advance

// Grim

(Not sure which thread I should put this post in.. so if it's wrong please move it )

http://ss.files.yey.nu/gXEBSL0R.png

• Re: [Student] Need help with a minor project
          Alan Stoldt

Alexander,

When you measure , you can change the precision of the units displayed.

Snap2.jpg

With the units changed to show (8) decimal places, your Y dimension is off, if only by a little bit.

.0043mm is a KM to solidworks.

I hope this helps some,

Regards,

Alan

Bernie Daraz

Alan is right, .0043mm is a mile. If nothing can move to make the mate work, you will have to provide some room or remove some mates. The trick to mating is using a few as possible. I don't want to download a 16MB file so I'll make some guesses, too many mates is my first. You might be better off to delete them all and start again.

Since your mate is prevented from working by such a small amount I would use just the concentric mate for the screw, and holes in the table top and the tubing. At most I would add a parallel mate to make the tabletop level and another parallel mate to the front face of the tabletop and the tubing. That would keep the tabletop level and square with the tubing structure.

Once that is done you can look for interference issues that you can accomodate. Use the Tools/Interference Detection options to find out where things need more room. It looks like there's no clearance for the wood tabletop and the tubing cutout to make assembly easy for the average person. Remember the wood will expand and contract with humidity and temperature. The aluminum tubing, not so much.

Alexander Hermansson

Thanks alot for your advices.. I started to think outside the box.... and came up with a new way to mate it

The holes isn't exactly next to each other.. but it doesn't matter as long as the the platform is fully defined

And thanks alot for the advice on how to extend the number of decimal Will help me out with alot of other things probably

http://s16.postimage.org/pr0af4nkj/random.png

Thanks alot 

// Grim